Author Topic: Should I reduce the amount of formula  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Bkkmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 24, 2005, 00:51:20 am »
I started DS on solids 8 days ago and he loves it, but I am not sure whether I should also be reducing the amount of milk I give him. He currently has 5 bottles of 8oz. Will he automatically drink less once he eats more or should I put less in the bottles?

I feed him 2tbs rice cereal mixed with about 2oz of formula for dinner and 2tbs banana for breakfast.  He has only had the solids for two meals for two days, but I think that he will eat/drink whatever I give him

I also stopped the DF two weeks ago as he was still waking at between 1-5am for a small feed.  Now he goes to sleep at 7pm and still will wake anywhere from 1-5 when I give him an 8oz bottle.  At least this means that I can go to bed early. Should I begin by reducing the amount in this bottle?   

Wendy
This is how old Aran is

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Should I reduce the amount of formula
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:21:20 am »
it will happen gradually as the solids become a bigger part of the diet (when it gets to more like 1/2 c per meal i think).  keep offering the milk first so he gets adequate amounts and then later (7-9 mo) start offering solids first.  this is the stage when he will start reducing the liquids himself.  the biggest reduction happens in 9-12 months and beyond.  every child is different in how they reduce it because it really depends on how much solids they want to take.

with the nightfeed - again i would prepare the 8 oz bottle and you will see as solids in daytime increase he wil either drop this bottle or start taking less.  when/if he starts taking only 1-3 oz i would start trying to get it in him in the daytime (milk or solids).
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified