Author Topic: are her naps robbing her nights  (Read 1342 times)

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
are her naps robbing her nights
« on: August 24, 2005, 16:05:10 pm »
My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and does not sleep through the night.  She generally takes two naps of about 1.5-2 hours each.  One in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Sometimes if she is really cranky I will put her down for about a half an hour in the early evening.  She goes to bed about 7:45 each night.  Normally she gets up between 3 and 4 occasionally later.  The last few night she has been up at about 1:30.  I dream feed her about 10:45-11.  So I can't imagine that she is hungry. I try to shh/pat her but after about a half hour of that I just give up and feed her.  And good golly she eats a full meal at that point.  The problem with her getting up at that point is that she then gets up a second time roughly 3-4 hours later.  Is she napping too much?  She really needs them.  She gets so cranky after about an hour and a half to two hours.  Someone please help!

Frances

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 16:58:17 pm »
Hi :) Sounds like the 6 month growth spurt to me, just a few weeks early. I would introduce solids now if you haven't already.
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 17:32:36 pm »
I have introduced solids.  I only give her them once a day.  Should I increase it?  I am still nursing her 5 times before the df.  Is this too much?

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 02:15:25 am »
Yes, seems like a growth spurt to me too. When I started solids with my lo, she was 5 months old, and I'd say we pretty quickly progressed to 3 meals a day, so by 5 1/2 months she was eating three times a day, with 6 bottles of 4 oz each in the entire day. So, try giving her more calories during the day and see if that helps.

Good luck!
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 03:14:08 am »
Her naps are fine. you're right, she needs them and if you decrease them, you'll have a whole mess on your hands!

Look at how she is falling asleep at the beginning of her night sleep. Make sure she is independently falling asleep, going into bed awake but a wee bit drowsy. 

If  she is falling asleep independently, then is there are pattern to her nightwakings? Is it consistently the same time each night?

How long has this been going on for?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004