Author Topic: How to shorten naptime routine for 2.5 year-old...  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Tru's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to shorten naptime routine for 2.5 year-old...
« on: August 24, 2005, 19:41:24 pm »
Tru is a good napper--usually a 2 to 2.5 hour nap around 2 p.m. everyday.  He can miss his nap here and there and be fine.  It might take a little coercing to get him to go up to his room for a nap, but he will go because he knows I won't cave!

But, the time it takes from when we walk into his room and when I leave saying "night night, I love you" is taking too long...like 30 or more minutes!  I have a 5 mo., so I just can not spend that much time in there with Tru!

Our routine is to sit on the floor, read 3 or 4 books (would prefer 2!), turn out his lamp and his humidifier on.  I put him in his crib (still in his crib and is happy there...for now) and sing a few silly songs and then I attempt to leave. 

The stalling begins:  "sing one more song", "hold me", "i want to go downstairs" and on and on.  Lately he cries 5 to 10 minutes after I leave and then settles down to play and then fall asleep.

I would like the whole process to be 15 or 20 minutes and I'm wondering how to make this happen without turning naptime into something negative for him.  As it is, I'm starting to lose my patience when he makes request after request and the crying that happens if I don't give in.  Would setting a timer work so that when it goes off I leave and go downstairs?  I can see it now...him wanting me to restart the timer, lol!

I would like to move him into a big boy bed in a few months.  I can foresee the nap routine getting longer or more difficult when he's in a bed that he can get in and out of if he doesn't want to take his nap or doesn't want me to leave.  I am even happy if he happens to not sleep occassionally but plays happily in his crib (and eventually his room).

Thanks!
 :lol:  Tru & Rowan's Mommy

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:16:31 am »
Can he count??

if yes - set the number of books (maybe 2 long or 3 short) and the number of songs (2 max - if short or just decide on a limit to time...) and let him count them off/ down as you do them ... when you reach book  #2 and it is the lastone - you have reached your deal... so it is not because you are a meanie but because that was all the books (maybe have him pick them out and put next to you to go through) and move onto bed and songs...

if not - use it to teach him 1, 2 , 3 counting

alex is almost 26 mo and had started to drag out naptime a bit (but is too obedient to really push it).  when she is avoiding even going to her room to get ready (too much to "do"   :roll: ) I start with the "ooh - what stories are you going to pick to read today? or should mommy pick them - hmm what book shoudl we have?..."  she is usually off to her room to pick - control freak that she is  :lol:   It also works for getting out of the bath - do we want bedtime stories?  better hurry up.

i just keep it simple - either 2-3 stories or if she prefers we read the same one 2-3 times.  then into cot and i give a kiss and she has an overhead projector that plays for 10 min. (i put it on and leave)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:52:10 am »
Maybe set a timer.  Tell him when the special bell rings that it's time to get into his crib.  Tell him you'll try to fit in lots of fun things before the bell goes off, but as soon as it goes off, it's night night.  Then stick to it.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions :)

Sara
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06