Author Topic: 1st period....YUCK  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 24, 2005, 21:57:17 pm »
I have started my first period since my DD was born today... :x I was wondering if this will decrease my milk supply in any way?  My DD has been waking to eat every 4 hours or so at night and during the day for the past couple of weeks and I can't pump very much during on sitting. 
Did anyone experience any problems once they started again??
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

annamum

1st period....YUCK
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 22:08:21 pm »
Yes, a return of menstruation has an effect on your supply. In my case, it usually happens 2 days before my period that Anna wants to nurse more often, and that's how I first figured out that this was the time when my supply was down.

If you let your dd stay longer at the breast with each nursing she will increase your supply. She may also act as if she is going through a growth spurt and will want to nurse more, I would let her, to make sure you will have sufficient amount of milk for her. BTW, my dd had her 6 months growht spurt at 5.5 months.
You also need to take more rest during this time, believe me, you need it. Drink more water, that helps a lot too!

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
1st period....YUCK
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 22:25:12 pm »
Oh me too - I just started my first period since Caeden and he has been "starving" all week - I figured it was a growth spurt, but maybe this is affecting it somehow too. He is due for a growth spurt - he'll be 11 weeks Sat.
Should I go ahead and let him nurse as often as he likes?
How long before this gets back to normal and should I expect it every month?

Thanks - I was wondering this same thing this afternoon!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

annamum

1st period....YUCK
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 22:31:45 pm »
CaedensMama,

if it is a growht spurt, and at 11 weeks, I would bet it is, go ahead and let him nurse as often as he needs. After a few days, it usually lasts 24 hours up to a week, he will be back to his regular nursing pattern.

It can be also a combination of your low supply because of return of period and a growth spurt. Either way, continue to nurse, it will increase your supply.

If it is only a period issue, which at this moment, I think it is not, your baby will go back to his schedule faster than during a growth spurt, just my opinion.

Offline katejude

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
1st period....YUCK
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 00:07:15 am »
Apparantly the taste of the milk changes when you've got your period.  DS started to pull at my breast and get really frustrated  :roll: - I couldn't figure out what was wrong but looking back it was probably the change in flavour.
Kate
mum to gorgeous little Finn
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 15:54:48 pm »
Kate,
That is very interesting because my DD is starting to fuss while nursing.  I bet it is a taste issue.  I hope that I am producing enough to satisfy her.  She is nursing about every 3-4 hours day and night.....I am about to fall over  :?   I will try to get alittle more rest but...... well, you know  :roll:
Does the duration of the period change from prior to having a baby?  I use to go 7 days, hopefully it won't be as long now!!  A girl can dream  :wink:
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

annamum

1st period....YUCK
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 17:33:42 pm »
My periods changed from irregular to very regular and they last a little shorter than before. Also, I don't get cramps anymore which is wonderful, instead I have pms but at least I know what to expect when I am acting like a raving lunatic LOL.