Author Topic: need help. weird nights wakings  (Read 951 times)

Offline aleccese

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 25, 2005, 02:50:46 am »
I've been using this method since my baby was 1 month old. She only can sleep by herself with the pacifier. So, I cannot hold her or rock her to sleep, she gets furious.
My daughter is 4 months old. She is been waking up at different times every night. sometimes twice (around 1 and 4) and sometimes only once (around 4). it is not always the same time. could be between 3 and 4:30 am but when she wakes (between 3 and 4:30) it is hard to get her back to sleep and If she does go back to sleep then wakes every hour. She is not hungry because whe I offer her milk she cries even more, she doesn't even whant to eat any. So, I know she can make it to the night until 6 or 7 am with no problem.
The problem is that at the beginning (been going on for 1 month) I gave her the pacifier right away thinking that whe would go to sleep quick. Now, she won't go back to sleep until I put the pacifier on (sometimes 5 times). I'm so tired!! I need her to learn how to go back to sleep by herself and stay at sleep.
how do I do it? I didn't find anything in the books. The only thing is to brake her of the pacifier which I don't really want to do (I don't want to let her cry that much)

any sugestions?

PS: she is teething now which makes the breaking of the pacifier worst!!!

Daniel's mummy

need help. weird nights wakings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 09:09:34 am »
From about 3 weeks of age our ds was quite attached to his dummy and we began to go through the same thing of him needing us to come in and put it back in his mouth when it fell out.  We decided this was not what we wanted to keep doing (plus he started taking it out himself in order to play with it :? ) 

He actually seemed to wean himself off it at around 5.5 months.  I think it was when we started encouraging him to cuddle a teddy instead.  We would put his dummy in and then give him the sheep to cuddle.  I guess that helped him make the link between the sheep and sleep instead of the dummy and sleep. He now just uses the sheep to go to sleep.  When he wakes up in the night he can pick up the teddy again and cuddle himself back to sleep.  I don't know if this will help at all, but it may be worth a try.

The 'sleepie sheepie' works a treat now.  If we go out somewhere and know that it will interfere with naptime we just take the sheep and when it comes to naptime put Daniel in his pram, pass him his sheep and he automatically starts yawning and rubbing his eyes (usually! :) )

Let us know how you get on,

Hazel

Offline KatieG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 17:04:26 pm »
Sorry to say it but you just answered your own question...the pacifier has to go. You will have 2 or 3 nights and days of crying but it is worth it in the long run otherwise it may take weeks until baby learns to find it and put it in again.