Author Topic: Sudden Problems with Afternoon Nap  (Read 1314 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: August 25, 2005, 19:49:49 pm »
We are in the midst of transitioning from 3-hour EASY to 4-hour EASY.  We were starting to have a 45-min nap problem, so I thought she was probably ready for a bit more awake time.  I slowly increased her awake time to 2 hours.  This seemed to address the 45-min nap issue, and it meant that we dropped the late afternoon catnap most days.  If she was really tired before her bedtime, we would tuck her in 1/2 hour early (she's usually in bed by 7:30pm).  Her two naps were then 1.5-2 hours, but if she woke up early (which was rare) I got her up and fed her provided that she had slept at least an hour and woke up happy.

Two days ago dd (7.5 mos) was woken up in the middle of her afternoon nap by a thunderstorm.  She had only slept about 20min, I could not get her to resettle.  After an hour of trying, I went ahead and fed her, and tried to put her down for a catnap later in the afternoon.  I had no success so she wound up going to bed 1/2 early.

Yesterday, at the same naptime, she took quite awhile to settle down (normally she goes down with no fuss whatsoever), then only slept 30min.    She would not resettle and would not go down for a catnap.  By 6pm, she was super-cranky and started screaming when we tried to feed her dinner, so I did her bedtime feed early (bf, she only took one side and fell sound asleep), and she was tucked in by 6:30pm.

What happened and where did I go wrong?

The only other things I can think of that may be relevant...

At the end of last week, she was taking her solid food feedings really well, so we added a third meal, but a couple days ago she started refusing solids all together, so I have not attempted that third meal for the last two days.

She has been waking between 4:30am and 5:30am for the last two or three weeks.  I haven't figured that one out yet either.  I'm not sure if it is habitual or hunger.  We have not been successful in resettling her, so I usually wind up feeding her.  She takes usually takes a decent feed at that hour, but she also used to sleep 12 hours with no trouble at all, no wakings.

Help.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Sudden Problems with Afternoon Nap
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 20:05:08 pm »
Deborah- sounds slightly like what I went through this last week.  Let me think on it and I will post back with ideas.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 15:12:22 pm »
Yesterday was the same - a 30min nap in place of her normal 2hour afternoon nap.  I attempted resettling until her next scheduled feed with no success.  I did get her to take a late afternoon catnap, but it took a long time to settle her down.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)