Author Topic: Rolling over when going to sleep......@ 3 months..  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Rolling over when going to sleep......@ 3 months..
« on: August 26, 2005, 02:27:52 am »
My lo is just 3 months old, and as of this past Saturday has begun to roll over whenever he is on his back. When putting him to sleep if I do not have my hand patting him etc, he will roll over, and this agitates him( or so I think) and I have to put him on his back--its like starting all over, and this happens for 40 minutes or so--today was a bad day for naps, as well as bed time. Also...just right now he must have roused a bit, and flipped onto his belly..he let out a horrific scream(but I waited) and then nothing. I checked on him, and as I said he was on his belly...however..I can almost guarantee when he wakes up next(which he does between 1:40--4:00) it will be due to being on his tummy. Any tips? Also, is it safe for a 3 month old to sleep on his tummy..I feel as though if I were to go and flip him, it would wake him anyways....
Sarah
Mother of Lizwe May 21, 2005
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Missy Norment

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 19:11:47 pm »
My Nate is 3 1/2 months old and also started doing this at 3 mos.  But doesn't roll all the way over, just on his side and is also very agitated.  It interrupts his sleep at night as well as day time naps.  He also has a hard time taking naps and will only sleep 20-30 minutes.  I've asked so many mothers about this, but they don't have an answer.  Hopefully they will learn to put themselves back to sleep. 

I feel your pain.  Hopefully someone out there will have an answer for us.  He did that at least 3 times last night and I have to reposition him and then he wakes up.  It's driving us crazy!!

Offline mnorton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Holy Roller
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 13:52:47 pm »
Hello,

My DS is 4.5 months old and I feel your pain.  He has been rolling both ways since about 2 weeks but then stopped for a while and has started again with a vengence. Now it's like he's forgotten how to roll onto his back from his belly. He gets himself on his belly and then gets SO mad.  It has been making naps and bedtime aweful.  I was running in to rescue him each time but yesterday decided that he would be better off knowing that the natural cosequence to flipping onto his belly in the crib is that he's stuck until he flips back over. So knowing that he's been fed, changed etc... I left him on his belly when he rolled over. Granted he was as mad as ever but I would go in and make sure he wasn't in pain, that there wasn't anything obstructing his breathing and then I would rub his back a little bit. The first time I did this yesterday he took a long time to settle down but eventually just fell asleep on his belly. (Side note: DR said it's okay for him to sleep on belly if he gets himself there) Each time took less time for him to settle and by this morning he's just complaining a little before going to sleep. It was hard to do but getting up at 3am 5am and 7 am just to flip him back onto his back was getting old.

Hope this helps a little.

Offline mommycarrie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:34:42 am »
My oon to be 4 month old can roll a bit.  From the first few weeks of being home and seeing him starting to roll, I went right out and bought some foam wedges (triangle) with fabric and velcro.  They can be used up to 6 months and are adjustable (velcro).  He sleeps only on his back and can't roll on to his side unless I place him like that.  When he does get restless at night the worst he does is scootch himself down.  The wedges are better than rolled up towels because you never have to fix them.  If you don't want your lo to roll over while sleeping anymore I would try to find something like that.  They are generally inexpensive...I got mine at WalMart for $12.  Oh they are machine washable to...in case the diaper leaks.

Carrie

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 22:52:55 pm »
just wanted to say that i feel your pain. my 4.5mo is a tummy sleeper and i have the opposite problem of you - rolls from tummy to back. but like all your lo's he hates being in a new position. i've been rolling him back over at night (sometimes each hour!!!) but naps are a battle. he's really strong too so i don't think that velcro thingy will work with him.

i haven't heard a straight answer on this either! i'm starting to go crazy b.c my whole day is practically devoted to rolling my ds around the crib. oh well! please let us know how things go.
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05