Author Topic: Poop when switching to milk  (Read 1316 times)

Offline cjwagner77

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:59:33 pm »
When you switched to whole milk from formula, did your lo's poop change consistency for awhile?  Dd's is a little looser now, not diahera.  And she doesn't seem to be in pain so I don't think it is lactose intolerance.  She has had other dairy without a problem.  If you did have a change, how long did it take to normalize?

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline sandraorion

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
Poop when switching to milk
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:29:02 pm »
You know, I've been wondering about the same thing. Don't have an answer for you, but we switched about month ago and the poops are still the same.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline cjwagner77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 16:39:46 pm »
After talking to the ped., Katy has not had any milk for the past 5 days.  Her poops have normalized some.  I think we either switched too quickly or her system can't handle that much milk just yet.  I am going to talk to the ped.  again today and see if we can start a slow introduction again and see if she can handle some milk and if so, what the catch point is that her system will handle.  She was fine with 8 oz, but not with 16 oz.

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline sandraorion

• Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 17:12:27 pm »
Hmm, I would have never thought that he could have sensitivity to milk. He's been also having a bad rash for last two weeks.

What were you giving her in the mean time instead of milk?

Offline cjwagner77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 17:26:39 pm »
Did the rash start when you started milk?  Katy's poop consistency went back to more normal when we took her off milk.  I just talked to the ped. and we are going to start her back on milk, but very slowly this time.

For the past 5 days, she was just having her normal foods and water.  Thankfully she does really like water, especially since it is hot now.  She wasn't drinking quite as much as before, but she was drinking enough.  We cut out the juice so there wouldn't be confusion since juice can also cause loose stools.  I am now giving her a little bit of orange juice in the morning (about 2 oz).  But she doesn't need the apple or white grape juice as there is nothing really nutritional in them.  We probably won't start back up on that.

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline sandraorion

• Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 17:39:11 pm »
The rash started a bit after swtiching to milk. We contributed the wakings, fussiness, rash and the stools to the teething. But the teeth came out and the poops, fussiness and the rash are still there.

He loves the milk though, and drinks it a lot. Did you take her totally off the diary, or did you still give her cheese and yogurt?

Offline cjwagner77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 18:14:23 pm »
We only took her off milk. She has had yogart, cheese, ice cream, pudding, etc. and did not have any problems.  I think there is some component of milk that is a little bit different that can cause a problem.  If you suspect milk is a problem, try taking him off for even a couple of days or cutting it back a little.  If it is, I think you should see a big difference pretty quickly.

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline sandraorion

• Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 18:45:33 pm »
Thank you so much! I will try that.