Author Topic: Really confused now  (Read 1313 times)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Really confused now
« on: August 26, 2005, 14:50:23 pm »
Ok, now I am really confused.  I did drop one of Lindsey's breastfeeds a couple days ago.  So now she is down to 3 a day.  I feel kind of bad about doing it though.  So, I called her ped office to make sure three is enough.  Or if I needed to add supplemental formula to replace the one feed i dropped.  They said I indeed should either give her formula from the sippy with her supper, or I could pump my milk and give it to her then.  So now i am like well if she needs the extra feed then it would just be easier for me to go back to giving her the breastfeed again, kwim.  I don't know what to do.  I wanted to gradually wean her so that I am done by the time she is around 13-14 months and I thought it would be best to go ahead and drop one feed now and do it very slowly but now I am not so sure.   Help please, what should I do?   So far she seems to be doing ok without the feeds before her meals but i don't want to deprive her of needed milk.  I have been giving her her milk in the am, then breakfast about 1-1.5 hours later. Then the second feed around 2 pm after lunch around 1 pm.  Then the third feed at bedtime.   Is anyone else doing it htis way with a baby Lindsey's age?  So you offer either ebm in a sippy or formula in a sippy at all?  The nurse I talked to said even though she will drink from a sippy now she may not want milk from a sippy so it would be good to offer now to see if she will and I can get her used to drinking milk from a sippy instead of water mixed with a little juice.  Help.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
Really confused now
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 21:43:58 pm »
My dd2 is almost the same age, and we've been down to 3 breastfeedings for a couple weeks now, pretty much the same schedule as you.  I did (over the past 3-4 days) move the 1pm feed back to 11am, and a late lunch of solids, because otherwise she was nursing to sleep for her second nap.   R has never taken formula (if she tries a sip, she looks at me like "what are you trying to do?"  :roll:  ), and won't take ebm from a cup, whether from me or anyone else.  I do give her a sippy of watery juice at meals, and she takes what she wants from that.

Don't worry too much about what the nurse says, as long as this is working for you.  If she wants more, she'll tell you!  :wink:
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:52:36 am »
When dd was your dd's age she was on a similar schedule.  Although at some point I also changed the first bf to after breakfast.  I only offered water in a sippy cup at meal times, never ebm or formula.

Here, that is what we are recommended to do (3x milk feeds per day at 9/10m), as solids are starting to become more important as far as nutrition goes.  Whereas at a younger age, the milk was really offering all/most of the nutrition with solids additional or just getting used to different tastes and textures.