Author Topic: Help me fix my oops!  (Read 1302 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Help me fix my oops!
« on: August 26, 2005, 15:07:05 pm »
Ooops - we have had a rough couple days and I have not been very good at sticking to the EASY - it's kinda been EAES - he has been eating alot! I know we hit a growth spurt and he has been eating like crazy. However, he started falling into a bad habit of nursing to sleep. Not completely - he wakes up slightly when I lay him down, but he is nursing to sleep and now I am starting to have trouble getting him to relax and go to sleep any other way. It has only been a couple days but I am seeing that we may be forming a bad habit here and I really don't want to. HELP - how do I stop and how can I get him to go to sleep another way. We have been struggling with going to sleep on our own in the cradle, but up until a couple days ago he would go to sleep in my arms (eventually after crying for awhile). This was hard and nursing is the "easy" way out but I really don't want him learning to go to sleep with a nipple in his mouth! He sometimes takes a paci, loved it up till a few days ago and recently doesn't really like it much. He is trying to get his fingers and suck on them but hasn't figured out how to soothe or go to sleep with them yet - any advice on helping him here? I would use the paci but it seems to just make him madder and so if he wants his fingers maybe I ought to help him with that? What do you think?
Caeden is 11 weeks old and any advice or suggestions would be great!
Thanks
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

mommytsa

Help me fix my oops!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 00:21:17 am »
Well, I had a baby who nursed to sleep, and the only way I was able to break the habit was replacing it with the paci.  It's just trading for a lesser evil, but I figure it's better than the boob.  I don't really have any other advice than that, but I would be interested in what other people have to say.

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Help me fix my oops!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 00:38:34 am »
My advice would be to give him a diaper change after a feed to insure you aren't feeding to sleep and to start sleep training ....with pat/sshh or pu/pd in a few weeks.. Also try to get on a good of EASY routine as possible (eating after sleeping)   You had mentioned before that he fell asleep in your arms?  I'm not sure if that is your ultimate goal....but that also is/would become a "prop".  You might want to take a peek at the pu/pd forum as there's loads of info there.   :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom