Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 1977 times)

Offline shocked

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 26, 2005, 19:41:37 pm »
I'm a first time mum. My baby is 3 weeks old. She is very unsettled in the evenings due to overtiredness I think because her belly's full and she's changed AND she's yawning. My poor partner comes home to a right din.

Any suggestions?

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:11:57 pm »
Hi. Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. You don't say if your babe is on EASY or not, but I think this would be a good place to start. Also I would suggest reading up on  babies body language in Tracys first book, so that you can then try to work out exactly what is happening.

Good luck
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline shocked

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:01:07 am »
Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain what the EASY plan is? Also does anyone have any tips for getting rid of wind in babies, it really seems to irritate her.

Holly n Harvie

HELP!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:26:21 am »
Poor shocked...
My Harvie had similar things wrong. The EASY plan is quite simple. You can feed 3 hourly or 4 hourly. E (eat) A (activity) S (sleep) Y (your time) You usually start your day at 7 am This is the 'E' eat. then when they are done eating they play a bit. 'A' Activity. When you see them yawn and rub eyes ect... (usually happens about 1 - 1.5 hours since you started to feed) this is the 'S' sleep. You put them down to sleep for 1.5 hrs. Then you have time for you 'Y' when they are asleep. So basically they eat and play for 1.5 hours and sleep for 1.5 hours. ( 2 and 2 if you are on four hourly feeds) THEN... there is more... at about 10 - 10:30 PM you give them what is called a 'dream feed'. (my harvie doesn't even open his eyes for this feed) This is where you *top* them up so they sleep through the night till 7 (fingers crossed) don't be discoraged if they wake in the middle of the night at like 3 or 5. If they can settle down and go back to sleep with a pacifier or something then great, if not they may need a little feed, but then wake them and start as usual at 7 am to get back on track.

It isn't that cut and dried, cause all babies are different, but the sooner you put your baby on a consistant routine the happier they will be. Life was kaos until I put Harvie on a routine and now he knows that when I wake him he eats, then plays and he knows that when he is getting sleepy I will put him to bed. There are thousand of amazing mummies here that have amazing advice, if you can get the Baby Whisperer book and keep in touch ! ! ! !

P.S. For wind, I do baby reflexology... click on this if you can:

http://www.iol.co.za/html/babynet/lookandlearn/baby_reflexology.php 

rub the inside arch of baby's foot for a few mins when feeding or playing. They may fart straight away as this area is connected to the tummy. I also used gripe water it works wonders. They do grow out of it. Harvie now burps as soon as I sit him up and I hardley have to pat or rub his back.

-Holly

Offline shocked

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 16:06:09 pm »
Thank you very much once again. I don't have any set routine, but I'll have to put one in place, because like you said things are a bit chaotic right now without one.

Offline zayandme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 16:12:27 pm »
I would recommend getting the BW books online, or having your hubby pick them up at the local library. They would help you a lot, I'm sure.
Sarah,Mom of Isaiah, Textbook/Touchy
Jesus said, " Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
HELP!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 04:04:47 am »
Hi Shocked,

I agree, you need to read the NEW book quick!  It is every detailed about teaching sleep, feeding, establishing a routine and some many helpful hints.  I think would  help you a lot. 

You could aslo have had a read at the announcement called: teaching a newborn to sleep.   Also download the Interview w/ Tracy - both threads at the at the top of this web page.