Author Topic: 8 1/2 month old started standing in cot and night waking  (Read 1054 times)

Offline KatieG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 1/2 month old started standing in cot and night waking
« on: August 26, 2005, 19:54:04 pm »
My 8 1/2 month old has just worked out how to get out of his wrap when in his cot/crib and at the same time has learnt to crawl and pull himself up to standing. So the past week or 2 has been a nightmare. He was a good sleeper until then but now when I put him to bed he stands up and plays, talks to himself then cries. I go in and lie him down, pat him and he keeps getting up. It can take an hour to get him to sleep.
At night he wakes up and is on his tummy, or against the side of the cot and just seems not to be able to get himself comfortable again. Sometimes he will be in a crawling position or even standing.
We have had to lie him back down/resettle him 4 or 5 times a night.
I thought it may just take him a week or so to get used to not being wrapped and also learning to get himself down again after standing but nothing we do is working. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Katie

Australian living in the US temporarily

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
8 1/2 month old started standing in cot and night waking
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 20:39:25 pm »
Hi Katie

First thing to check is that he can get himself down.  Spend a bit of time with him in his cot, moving his hands down the bars so that he learns how to sit himself down.

Unfortunately then on its just being consistent with the re-settling.  For us, and for most I think, its a developmental stage.  We had night wakings at learning to turn, learning to crawl, learning to stand (I'm sure our next one is when he learns to climb out of his cot :roll: )

So be consistent so as not to start any bad habits and it will gradually stop.  A lot of the time, they stand up in their sleep.  I think because they learn by instinct and not by being taught, because they can do it, they do.  KWIM.

I'm sorry I've no magical solution but it does go away after a couple of weeks honest.
Jenny