Author Topic: When does this nap training pay off?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
When does this nap training pay off?
« on: August 26, 2005, 22:15:17 pm »
I have had my 10 week old ds on EASY since the start. I make every effort to put him down still awake and not use any props to help him fall asleep. He takes a pacifier once in awhile but usually spits it out before he falls asleep. I have went back to swaddling even though he seems to hate it and struggles a bit, I think it helps him sleep better in the long run. Anyway, I have consistently done everything that Tracy suggests in promoting independent sleep and I figured by now he would be able to stay asleep longer. He has no problem falling asleep on his own but he always wakes up 45-60 minutes later. I have read a lot about the 45 m. naps and I see that extending awake time usually helps. But he shows me he's tired after about 1.5 hours of activity (includes feed) and I don't think he would play any longer. He begins to cry and I know he's done.

Anyway, my question is, at some point does all this sleep and nap training pay off? I feel like I spend so much time sitting next to the crib doing the pat/sshh and even though he may fall back asleep at some point and finish his nap, I can't imagine spending a little of each nap time doing this. Also, I am about ready to go back to work for a few days each week and I don't think his babysitter we'll be able to spend the time I do to extend his naps. I would hate for all of my work to be undone. I thought by now by being consistent and not giving up, he would be doing better. Sometimes I think I am trying to mold and manipulate my baby instead of just letting him be. My doctor says he'll work out his own schedule. So if he is still waking, maybe he is just done with his nap. Well, I've rambled long enough, just wondering if anyone else is feeling hopeless with sleep training.

One more thing, I read a post about someone who did the pat/sshh on their young baby and when the baby was old enough did the pu/pd method. If accidental parenting has not been used and I have been consistent from the start, why should I have to continue using these methods?

Thanks for listening.
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 02:03:19 am »
I think if you continue to be consistent with your method it will payoff.  I also think that sleep training can be an ongoing thing up until about 6 months of age when apparantly that is when their sleep center in the brain matures and sleep just gets better finally.   Hang in there.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:10:19 am »
Just to answer the question about why someone would need pu/pd after being consistent... it's when baby goes through different milestones, illness, teething, etc. they will often have a hard time sleeping again and it's to keep them on track without doing any "accidental parenting." It all really does work and it's worth it!!! Tracy always said in her books "start as you mean to go on." Wee babies don't always know how to soothe themselves and sleep when they need it, they need guidance to develop good habits such as self soothing, so they don't become reliant on any type of prop to go to sleep. We always have issues when dd is teething, learning how to roll over etc. but when things are on track we always have people comment on how easily dd goes to sleep. We walk out of the room saying goodnight and that's it!

Hope that helps somewhat...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 11:57:16 am »
I know in the long run I am doing what is best for my baby by not letting him rely on other things to fall asleep. It is just hard sometimes when you spend a lot of the Y time trying to get them to sleep. It does make since that you may need it from time to time to get past milestones and teething, I just need to stick with it.

Any advice on how to pass on my method to a babysitter? It seems a lot of people in my life think I'm crazy with my methods (they obvioulsy haven't read BW  :) ) and that I should be parenting on demand. It seems so many parenting books say that. I believe my DS thrives on this schedule and it makes life so much more predictable. I have a sitter who will be watching him 2 days a week and I want her to continue with the EASY schedule and nap training but I am afraid she is going to think I am nuts. She has raised two kids herself and I am sure she is a great mom, I am just doing a few things different.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

lil'monkey

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 17:00:34 pm »
The best way to convince people that you are not nuts is to let them see how easily your lo goes to sleep ( of course once training is over!)  Several people didn't believe me and thought I was crazy for being so protective of dd's naps/bedtime until they saw how easily she goes down to sleep.

There's the Sleep Interview post that you could print out and give your babysitter to read.  Highlight the important parts and maybe let her observe your day.

Good luck and hang in there.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 20:33:20 pm »
it can take awhile to sleep-train.... took me 6 weeks to start to overcome 45-min naps with ds... and we still have setbacks - sickness, teething, etc.  just be consistent - he goes down like a dream!  :D

as far as the sitter... i would just explain what you want her to do & ask nicely that she try.  my sitter is very pro-attachment-parenting, and is pretty much a dr. sears fan all the way.  but she is very respectful of what i am trying to teach my kids.  and my kids love her, so something's working!

(note - i am not trying to slam AP at all - just does not work for us)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy