Author Topic: How do you get em to sleep in a pack-n-play?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How do you get em to sleep in a pack-n-play?
« on: August 27, 2005, 02:05:08 am »
Any advice on how to get a 4.5 month old to sleep in a pack-n-play?  I will be starting part-time work soon and DD will be napping at my mother's in her pack-n-play.  She has never slept in it before and has troubles falling and staying asleep when not in her crib.  Should I try to get her to nap in it at home, but in another room, or should I take her to my mom's to get used to it.  Will napping in another room at our house confuse her?  Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Jessica

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:02:48 am »
Hello.  If it were me I would just put it in her room and try it there first.  Maybe you could even set it up and let her play or have tummy time in it to help her get used to it.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline mommycarrie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:35:01 am »
good points Lynne.  I have also heard of and would suggest that you take some of the crib sheets/blankets that she has slept on for a while so the smell is familiar to her.

My DS was very little when we did the pack n play so it didn't phase him very much.  You don't have to follow this but this is what I would do......

**First, unpack your 'pack n play' to air it out, then when it doesn't smell as much take the bottom/flat section and try to somehow fit it in the crib underneath her bedding (to get used to the feel of it).
**If or after she is comfortable with that, take the piece out and the bedding and let her sleep in the pack n play in her room for that nap time that she will be at your MIL's place.
**After she is comfortable with that then take her to another room in the house and let her sleep there.
**Again, when she is used to it, see if your MIL will let you come over for a day or 2 during her nap time and let her sleep there.  If she sleeps well then you should have no worries.  A bonus would be if you like your MIL, you can sit and have a visit with her.

This would be the transitional way to do it, but if you don't have time for that you could just jump straight in to it and take her over there and do PU/PD until she naps well.

Hope that was of some help.

Good luck,
Carrie

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:56:05 am »
I had a problem with this last week.  We went away for 2 days and brought the pack-and-play.  He was not comfortable at all.  I don't blame the kid... it's not as firm or straight as his crib.  I realized that I need to let him sleep on this intermittently so that he gets used to it, so I agree with Carrie.  You may have to do pu/pd but at least you're home so, I'm thinking that it may not take as long as doing everything for the first time at your MIL's place).
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 16:06:23 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I'm going to give it a try.  They really don't make those things to comfy do they!? Wish me luck!
Jessica