Author Topic: He keeps calling us back into his room at bedtime!!!  (Read 1181 times)

Offline sweetpea's mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
He keeps calling us back into his room at bedtime!!!
« on: August 27, 2005, 02:56:16 am »
Hello All,

We are dealing with a dilemma I wondered if any of you have faced before...our two and a half year old son has now gotten into the habit, at night time only, of calling us back into the room, screaming loudly (he is now very verbal!!) and then showing us his blanket, crooked diaper, "big booger" that he (I think) forces out of his nose...this can happen 3-4 times before her finally collapses, usually an hour after we put him down...During the day, he goes down for his nap and is asleep within 15 minutes...We have had some big changes lately, like we just moved from an apartment to a new house, and he is getting his molars, so I know things are challenging, but I don't want this to become a horrible habit...any ideas on how to help get him (and us) through this?

Thanks!

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:01:09 am »
From my experience you just keep things real simple.  What we would do is do the normal goodnight routine, if they call you back return and be very boring, no talking, minimum contact, retuck say goodnight and leave.  You return as many times is needed, he will soon get the idea that it's really boring not getting you to interact with him - usually within 3 days we're back on track and it always happens to us if something new's been happening.  Oh and all his usual things like big boogers etc just ignore and lie him back down in bed and leave - he'll probably get annoyed to start, but remain VERY consistent and it will come right.

Make sure all other stalling tactics have been dealt with before the initial goodnight - like final drink of water, potty (if he's doing that), all toys/blankies etc are in the right place.

Good luck.

Offline carolyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 12:08:34 pm »
We have recently been going through a similar situation with our 2 1/2 year old.  He understands what he is doing and is definately playing us.  I "solved" it by putting 4 linking rings on the gate at his door.  I told him he could call us back up to 4 times if he really needed us for something and then I wouldn't come back until he was asleep.  Each time I come back I take 1 rign off, when there are no more rings, there are no more visits.  We have never had to go past 2 rings...yet.  :wink:   I have to stress to him that I will come back and check on him after he is asleep, otherwise he thought we weren't coming back ever. (I guess I didn't explain it well the first time)  Each time I go back I kiss him and tell him goodnight and lay him back in his bed.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline sweetpea's mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 23:25:04 pm »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Ladies!

It is always nice to know that we are not the only ones dealing with this situation, I guess there is strength in numbers. I will try to "keep it simple" and just be boring whenever I do get called back in...and if things get worse, I may invest in some rings.....

Thanks again and I will keep you posted!