Author Topic: Dreamfeed and still waking  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
Dreamfeed and still waking
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:53:04 am »
My 4 1/2 month old was sleeping from 6.30pm - 4am approx, then b/fed and back to sleep until about 6.30am. I decided to introdue the DF about a month ago, and now things are worse! I feed him about 10.30pm, he then usually wakes himself crying anywhere between 1-3am. Mostly won't settle unless I give him another quick feed. Then sleeps until somewhere around 5.15am. I tried dropping the DF after a couple of weeks, but he'd gotten used to it and started waking hungry at about 11.30pm.

Could it be that he's getting ready for solids? He's currently exclusively breastfed. Or is something else going on? Any clues as to how to stretch out the 5am waking apart from PU/PD. He's happy in his cot for about 30 mins then starts crying for feeding.

As well as the DF he cluster feeds in the afternoon. A typical day is like this:

5.30am feed
9.00am feed
12.30pm feed
4.00pm feed
5.00pm feed (not much but enough to keep him happy)
6.00pm feed
10.30pm DF

I'd love to have him on a 4 hour EASY but can't seem to get it to work as his sleeps are only about 1 1-1/2 hours, and he wakes at different times each day. Sometimes I have to feed him near the end of his awake time just to stretch out the feed, because he's not hungry sooner.

Sorry this is such a garbled mess, but don't know how better to explain.
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 18:06:30 pm »
Two questions:

How does ds typically fall asleep?

Have you done a yield to see how much milk he may be getting in the evenings. Supply can decrease as the day goes on, especially if you are particularly busy. You might want to see how much you are producing in the evenings. The quick feeds that you refer to can also send a signal that not as much milk is needed and thus decrease supply in the evening. Doing a yield would add a little more information that could help you solve the problem. Then you can make a decision about supplementing his diet (either with a formula feed in the evening or thinking about starting solids).
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
Dreamfeed and still waking
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 08:18:25 am »
Hi Sandy
Usuallly ds is awake before he is laid down in his cot so is not falling asleep on the breast. If he's really tired due to lack of afternon nap he may fall asleep on me, but then is slightly woken as I wrap him. Well, he opens his eyes and looks at me anyway.

Interesting, yesterday he didn't get a chance to cluster feed as we had other things going on, so fed about 12.00 noon, then 4.30pm and took a large feed. I didn't feed again until just after his bath before bed. he was sooo tired he fell asleep after 10 mins. So I put him in bed. At 9.15pm he woke crying loudly! DS took a big feed for 15 mins then down again for the night until 5.30am! yay!!! So I'm trying to replicate this again today by feeding in the same manner, ie not cluster feeding, and a smaller 6pm feed. Here's hoping he'll take a big feed at about 9.30 pm and sleep through again.

I hadn't thought about the short frequent feedings effecting my supply. But in hindsight, I was definitely fuller yesterday and today. Mmmmm.

Now, if I can just encourage a later wake up by leaving him in his cot for longer before I get him up, I'd be soooo happy! LOL
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand