Author Topic: 4 month old has always done 45 min. naps!!! Need help!  (Read 3956 times)

Offline meghan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old has always done 45 min. naps!!! Need help!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 15:52:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I am trying out a few different things.

One, I have been putting her to bed EARLY- like around 6. I feel weird doing it, it seems so early, but she has been going down a lot better. In fact, my husband was able to put her down last night, and usually she balks when he does it.

I am going back to a 3 or 3 1/2 hour easy. I thought she was ready for the 4 hour, but maybe her fussing is partly due to hunger? So, we'll see how that works.

Am trying to keep it low key during A time, but its so hard. I cherish our time to play, so I know I am probably doing too much with her. Will work on that.

She still wakes up after 45 min. even though I go in her room during every nap to try to "catch" her before she jolts awake. I feel like now she is waking up because she knows I will be there to put her binkie back in. Somedays she will close her eyes and sleep (?) for another 10 minutes or so, but thats about it.

We are going to the Ped today to have her weight checked. She had a cold last week and when I took her to the ped, she had only gained 1 lb. in almost 2 months. This makes me think there is a problem with my milk. Perhaps that is a factor?? AGGH! So many unknowns- I feel like everyday I have a new theory and it makes me feel so incompetent and confused!

I dont know anything about reflux, but I will do a search and see if it sounds like Lauren. Thanks for the thought.

Also, I have read about the EASASY schedule, but need a refresher. Does anyone else follow this schedule? How does it work?

THanks for the help- I come on my computer everyday to see if anyone else has ideas, so keep 'em coming! :wink:

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 16:13:19 pm »
If i catch you before you go to your ped, - ask about the reflux, explain what you were saying to us that she would be fine one minute and screaming the next.  DON'T let him push you off until you get enough information that you feel comfortable with the subject. 

Again, tell them about your concerns w/ feeding and weight gain.

If going back to either 3 or 3.5 I would recommend 3.5 so that you can keep her A time long enough to keep combating the 45min naps. 

I know it gets confusing, it is like solving a puzzle but your only feedback on if it is working is Lauren's reactions.  I just want to add, once you decide to try something, stick w/ it for at least 2wks.  As change in an young one takes time!

Offline zayandme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 16:55:24 pm »
Oh, I know it is so hard! Just go easy on yourself, you are doing the very best you can with what you know! Take it one day at a time and be persistent for awhile with each new thing ( like meg'smom said). Please keep us updated!
Sarah,Mom of Isaiah, Textbook/Touchy
Jesus said, " Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Offline meghan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 18:11:35 pm »
I did some research online, and now my husband and I are convinced that she has reflux. She has all the symptoms! You were right, Michelle. THank you so much!

Spoke to the ped. and they agree that it could be reflux. However, they dont want to start her on med's yet- they want to try to thicken her milk. Since she is breastfed, I am starting rice cereal. Also, I think my milk supply has diminished recently since Lauren has shown little interest in eating, so the doc wants me to work on getting my supply back up and see if part of the problem isn't hunger. I am taking Fenugreek, an herbal pill that is supposed to help. I am also supplementing with formula.

Today she has nursed and taken a bottle each feeding and seems pretty happy. She also had her first rice cereal and did pretty well. SO, we'll see what happens tonight. If she remains pretty happy all day, I guess the problem was hunger, or giving the rice helped.

I am so grateful for this website and you wonderful, supportive mommies!! I'll let you know how it goes...

Meghan

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 22:25:17 pm »
Well done!  I am glad to hear your ped is on board and has given you a plan. 

I took fenugreek and it worked well.

Let us know how you are doing.  :D