Author Topic: Could he be sensitive/allergic to rice cereal?  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Could he be sensitive/allergic to rice cereal?
« on: August 27, 2005, 23:32:15 pm »
My 13 week old who suffers from milk sensitivity or intolerance has been great since we put him on soy formula.  Since his reflux would still bother him then and again, the ped told me to add a bit of rice cereal to his formula.  I know that this is common for reflux babies.

Since we have started with the rice cereal (a few weeks ago), he naps have gotten short.  He seems a bit more fussy (although still a great baby) and his night sleep has been inconsistent.  It has also been hard getting him down.

Could this be a sensitivity to the cereal?  Or just a coincidence?

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 20:00:20 pm »
It could be that it is too soon for your lo to be on solids. Our doc suggested we try rice cereal at 16 weeks. Liv was really unsettled at night and if I remember a little sick too.

Maybe it's worth dropping the cereal for a few weeks, giving your lo's system a chance to mature a little more and try again?

Sara

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:49:19 am »
Thanks for your reply.  I thought that I was crazy.  Nice to hear someone else has had this experience.

We took out the cereal.  This little boy (13.5 weeks) eats 48 ounces of formula a day without the cereal! 

Anyway, he does seem much better.  Still having a bit of nap issues.  But he seems calmer and easier to get down to sleep.  Although he wakes at night for food now.  But that is okay.  I'd rather him feel good.

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 11:22:13 am »
I remember 14-16 weeks being a nightmare for napping - screaming going down etc. Just another of those phases they go through. Not sure what to suggest about staving off the hunger apart from more calories during the day but sounds like he's taking loads already!

You never know, just 2 or 3 weeks more may give his tummy time to mature enough to handle the cereal again.

hth
Sara