Author Topic: Let him fuss or go in there?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Let him fuss or go in there?
« on: August 28, 2005, 15:12:20 pm »
So, after some major set backs (and a meltdown from mommy last week :oops: ) we're back to working on the short nap issue and things have been somewhat better thanks to the great advice from the ladies on here :D .
I've been going around the 30 min. mark and like clockwork my little guy starts to stir or wakes up.  Sometimes I get in before and sometimes I miss it.  Re-settling him has been better but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

When I do go in and catch him before he fully wakes up (just starts to stir), how long do I stay in there for?  Sometimes he'll stir and I'll apply some pressure or jiggle him lightly and he'll just keep sleeping for the rest of the nap or open his eyes, yawn and then go back to sleep but other times a few minutes after I leave he'll wake up and I have to rush back in.
If he wakes, I know I should wait and let him try to put himself back to sleep on his own but the times I've tried that and he can't re-settle (and lately it's never!), it's almost impossible for me to get him back down then.
In other words, I feel like I always have to be in there before he even wakes up because if he does it's all over.  How is he ever going to learn to resettle on his own if I'm always in there? I'm afraid to let him wake completely and see what he does because it usually turns into an all out screamfest.

Sorry for all the questions.  Hope someone can help.
Thanks!
Pat

[/b]

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 03:10:15 am »
How old?

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 20:48:20 pm »
Ooops!  :oops: He's 5 months old  :)
By the way, how DO I get one of those age tickers?

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 22:19:12 pm »
See if there's any improvements for the next two weeks.  What you will see is that he will need you less and less and enter back into the sleep cycle easier.  The key is to act as subtly and indirect as possible, kinda like a shadow, so that he doesn't sense that you are there (so, no talking.. unless you are using pat-shush).  Then after the two weeks, hold back and give him a chance to experience the transition on his own.

Also, another important factor, is ensuring that he is falling asleep independently in his bed.. so winding him down less and letting him shift about and fuss about (not hysterical cry) until he gets into his comfy spot.

Hang in there.. it will come together!

For the age-tickers.. http://www.lilypie.com (I think)
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004