Author Topic: Mantra cry  (Read 2237 times)

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Mantra cry
« on: August 29, 2005, 00:59:00 am »
My lo is 5mths next Saturday and he is on the 4hr EASY.  he is very good at putting himself to sleep.  I am just wondering if the mantra cry he does before going to sleep every stops.  He has only once got to the actual cry and I think I put him down too early and he just got worked up.  Normally he just sort of yells and I know this is his way of settling down for sleep.  Does this ever stop though?  I know that he is going to sleep but he will be staying at grandparents for the night next week and I am hoping they don't pick him up even though I have explained to them what it sounds like?  Anyone else do this before settling?  and hasit ever stopped?

Lisa - mum to James (Spirited/Textbook baby)
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline me and bean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Mantra cry
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 04:22:58 am »
hi lisa - yep, my lo, also 5mths very rarely genuinely cries.  when i put him down he always had a whinge and whine, then the fake crying would start and go on and on and on.

i have just started weaning him off the shushing, and surprisingly the 'mantra' has pretty much stopped.  i put him down and he has a talk, starts sucking his hands and soon falls asleep.  if he does start with the mantra now, he soothes himself out of it within seconds.

do you put him down and leave the room?  i mean, is he doing it for your benefit do you think?  i've found just recently, the less involved i am with trying to get him to go to sleep, the better he is at it on his own.
Susan -
mum to michael, aka bean!  april 1st, 2005
and cope, october 15th, 2007

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Mantra cry
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:37:24 am »
Hi Susan - about 3 weeks ago i stopped pat/sh as i found it got him more worked p.  i now put him down and leave the room.  i don't mind him doing this, just curious i it ever stops.  Today has been a good day - hehas only done it for a couple of minutes and then he is asleep.  i usually put down with the same tired signs - sometimes he goes in 2minutes other times 10minutes  :? .  Some of the sounds are funny to listen to anyway.  Glad to see some other lo's are doing the same thing.

Lisa - mum to James
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Mantra cry
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 18:17:42 pm »
it does stop - and then it turns into chatting to themselves, which is pretty darn fun to listen to as well!  :D

when... i don't really remember.  ds has pretty much stopped, and he's around 7 months.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline me and bean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Mantra cry
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 04:37:32 am »
i know!  fuuuuuuuny!  i phone my family in new zealand and let them listen over the phone. :D
Susan -
mum to michael, aka bean!  april 1st, 2005
and cope, october 15th, 2007

Offline Netspi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mantra cry
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 19:56:36 pm »
Sorry I'm new to this forum, please can you tell me what a mantra cry is? My daughter is just over 3 months and since last Friday (it's now Weds), she has literally screamed for 30mins between 7-8pm. It's real tears and it's heartbreaking. She had her second lot of jabs last fri but she's not crying/overly grumpy during the day. She does get over-tired and so we've brought forward bedtime by 45 mins, but she still wakes between 7 and 8pm. This is stressing me out... The only way she'll sleep is by being swaddled... Thanks - Annette xx

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Mantra cry
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 21:59:28 pm »
i can try & explain... a mantra cry isn't a "real" cry; it's more like a whine.  sort of like making noise for the sake of making noise.  it doesn't really escalate either. 

sounds like your lo is truly crying - calling out for you. 

and it's okay for her to still be swaddled to go to sleep - very normal at that age - she will let you know when she's done with it.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Netspi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mantra cry
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 08:27:09 am »
No idea what her screams are for then :( It was very hot last night so I was worried about swaddling her, so I left her without clothes and found a light sheet and she was a bit jiffly but she slept ok.
I wish I could understand what's upsetting her so much between 7 and 8, she literally screams and sobs for about 10 mins after...

btw, I'm in the UK, hence my odd posting times :)

Offline klt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Mantra cry
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 11:02:49 am »
Could it be her 3 mnth growth spurt?

Offline Baby Ethan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Mantra cry
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 15:43:22 pm »
Hi there,
I've just finished reading all your posts and my 4 month ds has been doing the mantra cry for a while now. Basically he's fine until i leave the room and then it begins but as soon as i go back in he starts laughing and thinks it's all a big joke. Any suggestions on what to do, do i just ignore him or do i go in every now and then? I'd like him to learn to fall asleep on his own without my being there so i'm sure me constantly going in is just making myself a prop. I ignored it once and it went on for about 2 hours. Also he's started doing this in the middle of the night, should i go in and settle him or let him be?
Laura