Author Topic: How do I switch formulas?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline mattandcindy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« on: August 29, 2005, 04:01:34 am »
Abigail is 6 months old and is finally doing well with her reflux.
She is on Similac Isomil, but only because that is where she ended up when we were figuring out the reflux thing. Now that the reflux is under control I want to switch her to a milk based formula (she doesn't have any allergies, the doc just thought that before she was diagnosed with reflux).
How do I do that? Does you switch cold turkey? Do I mix the two and slowly add more of the Similac Advance? Do I do a bottle of soy based then milk based then soy based?
I am not sure how to go about it. Since she is 6 months old I am not sure if she will have a hard time "adjusting" to a new formula.
Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Cindy

Colleen

How do I switch formulas?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 04:11:48 am »
Try one bottle of the new formula. If she doesn't seem to mind, then just switch cold turkey. If she doesn't like it, start with adding a little of the new to a bottle of the old and gradually increase the amount of the new.

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 15:53:36 pm »
My doctor told me to switch cold turkey.
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 16:56:26 pm »
We did the switch from hypoallergenic formula to milk-based a couple months ago.  Many docs will tell you to do the switch slowly.  For example, first week  - 75 % soy, 25% milk based, next week - 50%, 50%, and so on.  But we did the switch cold turkey since our son has reflux flare-ups every few weeks and we didn't want to mistake a reflux flare for difficulty with the new formula.  Hope the switch is easy!!
Sheila
ng

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 17:39:42 pm »
So I did it. I took the plunge and just switched cold turkey yesterday.

So far she has been on the new formula for 3 feedings. She had no problems taking it (I didn't think she would-the girl will eat anything you put in her mouth!) but she does seem more grumpy since I switched.

She has been doing this thing she has never done before-just all of a sudden bursting into tears. I don't know if it is related. I will give the new formula at least 3 days to see if it affects her negatively-but at leat she is taking it!

Am I correct that the symptoms of  a milk intolerance is diarrhea and bloody/mucousy stool?
Cindy

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 21:54:29 pm »
I am glad it is going semi-well!  Yup, you are right.  Look for blood or mucous in stools, runny stools, dark green stools, fussiness, refusal to eat, or increased vomit.  I hope it works out for you!  Sure is cheaper and smells a bit better, huh?
Sheila
ng

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 22:57:24 pm »
Yes, It is especially cheaper because I am using the Target brand, which is $16 compared to $25 for the Similac. And it has DHA and ARA in it so it is just like the brand names...
And it is going better today.
Thanks!
Cindy