Author Topic: Naps w/out Breast. Has anyone succeeded at this???  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Chicklette

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Naps w/out Breast. Has anyone succeeded at this???
« on: August 29, 2005, 17:58:20 pm »
I read in Tracy's book for Toddlers that I should first get Delaney to fall asleep w/out my breast in her mouth. I should disengage the latch just as she's about to fall asleep. Of course this causes a lot of crying and after 15mins I've just taken her out of the room for the 2nd time and gave her some lunch. It's also close to her next nap time so I guess I'll just keep on trying. My question is, do I also do this when I'm putting her to bed at night? Or do I get the naps down pat w/out the boob and then do the pu/pd for nighttime after we've mastered the nap thing? I'm sort of confused and I want to start as i mean to go on. Anyone who's done this and can give me some advise, I would really appreciate it. Now I'm off to try for the third time.

Thx so much!

Mish

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Naps w/out Breast. Has anyone succeeded at this???
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 22:03:27 pm »
Not sure if this answers your questions, but I just started feeding dd earlier in our winddown routine so that it wasn't the very last thing before sleep.  We started out with naps, and then when that was going well, did the same for night.

Has your lo ever gone to sleep without the breast?  I'm not sure how well our method would have worked in that situation, but for us it wasn't an all the time habit, so we did know that she was capable of going to sleep without it.

You will surely get some protest, which means you're going to need some sort of game plan of how you are going to handle getting her to sleep.  That will jsut depend on what you are comfortable with and what works with your lo.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline iggy's_mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
yes, we had success...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:30:08 am »
we have been doing PU/PD and a flexible EASY plan since Iggy was 5 months old, but breastfeeding has always been a part of the wind-down... he is now 13m.o.

sometimes wth travel and holidays it would creep back into being the very last thing before lying him down, and then dangerously close to nursing down... so i would always have to work really hard to clamber back to something decent like lying him down awake and just very relaxed.

we have always done naps and bedtime the very same way. consistency is the key.

like Kim too i found the key is to move the BF earlier in the routine.

Iggy is weaning himself these days. i have my boob out as we read books and he merely kisses it every now and again before bed, never really sucking any milk out.

so while i say we have had success, it was only at 9-10 months old that Iggy was able to be left awake in the cot... PU/PD for 4 months for very nap was the key. be prepared for a long journey. i never thoght we would get to leaving the room when he's awake, but we did.

softly
Iggy Bravo : 15 August, 2004 : Spirited/Textbook
Baxter Valentine : 14 January 2007 : Textbook