Author Topic: when do they stop spitting up?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: August 29, 2005, 23:07:19 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured here would do.

Question:  When do they quit spitting up so much?

My ds is 6 months old, and still spits up quite often.  He's usually fine but if he gets too much jostling, he will spit up.  And he jostles himself!  And forget about it if you're carrying him!   :roll:

So, was just wondering when your kiddos stopped?  Let me know there is an end in sight? 

TIA!

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
when do they stop spitting up?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 23:18:28 pm »
Well dd has bad reflux so she still vomits a couple times a day but that said things did improve a great deal around your lo's age. A great deal! She used to vomit upwards of 50x a day... I kid you not.  :shock: But in all babes it gets better with solids and being able to be more upright. They use the term "reflux" with a lot of babies even if they are just "happy chuckers." What it is is the sphincter between the esophageus (sp?) and the stomach is immature and it starts to mature on it's own around 5 or 6 months I think.

I sure don't miss all that laundry... :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 02:41:54 am »
DS had really bad reflux also, and the sphincter should strengthen over the next few months.  By around 1 yr old, the shphincter is mature for most babies, so the spit up should pretty much end by then.   :D
Sheila
ng

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 14:54:36 pm »
Abigail is 6 months old also. She also has reflux. Her spitting up has actually gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. I was wondering the same thing. She is just starting to sit up some on her own and with help and she has been on solids for 2 months. With that said, I am hoping it will get bettet soon for us both
Cindy

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 15:17:41 pm »
Cindy, have you updated the med dosage to keep up with the weight gain? Also we have found when dd started teething, around 6 months her spit up became worse. Then when the bottom two teeth came in at around 7 months it eased off again. I think it was from all the extra drool. Our doc agreed but did stress teething does not necessarily aggravate reflux so we always have it checked out now when it gets worse.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 16:04:01 pm »
The doc just recently uped her dose of Prevacid. Don't get me wrong, the spitting up is worse but it is not seeming to bother her! Just wondering when it is going to stop! She doesn't have any teeth yet and we have wondered the same thing.
Also, I am almost positive she has delayed gastric emptying...She will spit up 4-5 hrs after last eating. Sometime she will spit up solid food she ate 6-8 hrs previous! The doc says that they just have to grow out of it-Which is fine with me cause I don't want her on Reglan!
Anyway, thanks for asking.
Cindy

Offline taylor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 14:05:47 pm »
my little boy is 9 months and he still spits up after his breakfast and only after then.   hes okay if u leave him but if u have to get him ready to go out or even dress him he will spit up.

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 18:09:34 pm »
BTW Tammy,
Ethan is SO cute. Everytime I see a post from you I think, "Boy, is that one cute little boy!"
Cindy

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 18:31:10 pm »
I would say it slowed down some when she learned to sit up and was pretty much gone by the time she was crawling.  Granted she was on Prilosec as well, but we weaned that at 9 or 10 months and she was done spitting up.  She'd occasionally have a wet burp, but that'd just be a small amount.  I'd say more and more solid foods help with that as well, not just baby food.  So whenever they start getting more solids and less puree, that should help some too.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 19:12:11 pm »
Ewan spit up from the time he was 3 weeks until about 1 year old.  It never bothered him, just me finding piles of it on the carpet where he had been playing :P .

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 19:23:26 pm »
Cindy - thanks for the compliment!  I think he is such a cutie, but I'm biased!   :wink: