Author Topic: How to handle PU/PD with large baby?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline mom2clayeve

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 30, 2005, 01:04:55 am »
My daughter will be 11 months old in a week and is about 25#.  I have been rocking or nursing her to sleep mostly and she has not done much falling asleep on her own.  Shey typically sleeps through the night 9-11 hrs, but I am having great difficulty getting her down for naps.

I would really appreciate it if someone can share how they handled getting their lo to sleep when they are big babies at this age.  She is does not pull herself up to standing position yet and really doesn't try to pull herself up at all in bed.  I am hoping to teach her to fall asleep on her own before this occurs.

Thank you for your time in advance.  I have a three year old who really needs my attention as it has been taking me sometimes over an hour to get her down for her naps.

Kim

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
How to handle PU/PD with large baby?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 17:00:37 pm »
As for PU/PD with large babies, it becomes more of a PD... that is, when she starts to crawl or tries to "escape" you lay her down and pat her pack, and as soon she tries to put on fours again, you lay her down again... that means you don't actually PU (so your back remains kind of safe... except for the bending over the crib for hours which has been awful for me...)

If your lo uses bottle to get drowsy, I think it's ok as long as she does not use it to actually fall asleep. You can try giving her her bottle and then use a blankie or stuffed animal so she holds it and then to bed. Loveys are very helpful when training large babies for naps.

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake