Author Topic: Napping in crib but only 20-30 minutes!!  (Read 1210 times)

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 30, 2005, 01:04:56 am »
DS is 6 months old and has been sleeping in his crib for two months for overnights, things are not great but were working to make them better. I have been letting him continue to nap in the swing but have started to put him down in the crib since the swing is getting small, well he goes to sleep ok but the issue is him staying asleep, he usually wakes in the crib within 20-30 minutes and won't go back to sleep compared to 2 hrs in the swing..any suggestions?? TIA

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Napping in crib but only 20-30 minutes!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 01:48:41 am »
Keep putting him in his crib, and encouraging independent sleep.  He is basically relearning how to fall asleep, since before the rocking induced sleep and the motion continued it. So, I would expect the 20.30 min naps.. but just continue to encourage the sleep in the crib. I wouldn't go back to the swing.. it will eliminate all the hard work you and him have done.

I would recommend doing Tracy's pu.pd strategy to encourage independent sleep. It's a middle of the road alternative to Ferber, Controlled Crying and CIO.  Take a look at Tracy's new book, she has a chapter devoted to it, as well as the Pu.Pd board. 

One last word of wisdom.. it takes time for teaching sleep.. it doesn't happen overnight. You have to stick with it, be consistent, routine oriented and not turn back to using a prop.  It will be wonky, but it will get better and then you'll never have to worry about teachig sleep! It just takes time and patience on your part.

Hang in there and good luck!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004