Author Topic: Switched from 2 to 1 nap ...  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
Switched from 2 to 1 nap ...
« on: August 30, 2005, 02:56:15 am »
and couldn't be happier, for now.

For 2 or 3 days, DS had been getting hard to put down for his 2nd nap, then finally on the 4th day, he babbled and played the entire nap time.  The next am he slept right through until 7:30 am (usually up at 6am ish  :roll: )  So for the past few days I've been switching his routine completely.  He used to nap at 9 or 10 am through till noon-ish.  His 2nd nap was between 3 and 3:30pm for about an hour or so.

NOW he goes down at 12:30 just after lunch.  Today he woke after only 1.25 hrs, so I made him go back to sleep .. pat/shuh (PU/PD stimulates him way too much for naps) and he ended up getting about 2.25 hrs of sleep. 

Hopefully he keeps waking up between 7:30 and 8 am.

Thought you'd all like to know.

Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 12:58:23 pm »
Thanks Beth - that's great to know! My dd is almost the same age as Hunter and still takes 2 naps.  But she's starting daycare next week and I know they plan to gradually move her to one afternoon nap.  Very reassuring to hear that it's working for Hunter!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 16:47:40 pm »
:lol:

Just to update you all ...

He woke this am at about 5:30 ish, but I got him back to sleep again.  He didn't wake again until 7:30  woo hoo.  I put him down this afternoon shortly after lunch, as he was drooping over his fruit  :roll:  :lol:

Hopefully he sleeps 2.5 hrs or so today.

More later
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Laura~Cooper's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 16:52:37 pm »
The same thing is happening with Cooper.  It is so nice to have a 2 1/2 hour nap in the middle of the day (12:00-2:00) give or take 30 minutes and he has been (knock wood) sleeping through the night with no wakings or only one waking since we started.  He did the same thing and fought his pm nap for a while and I just gradually extended his morning and here we are. :D
Laura

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 17:06:56 pm »
Hi There,
Would you ladies mind posting what your new daily routine is like? DD is still on 2 naps but has been changing them a lot over the last few weeks so think we might be on the way soon, well in the next few weeks or so.
Many Thanks,
Fiona

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 17:16:02 pm »
Here's Hunter's new schedule.  He never adapted to EASY, so I adapted it to him ... lol.  I extedned his am wake time to 5 hrs or so rather than just drop either the am or pm nap.  Seems to be going well.

7:30 am     wake up and out of bed
8 am          breakfast - 5tbsp baby cereal, then cheerios to keep him
                 happy
10 am        sometimes toast with us, and 6 oz bottle formula
12 pm        light lunch ... today cut up pears with cheerios (definately
                 gets enough fibre)
12:30         4-6 oz formula and Nap
2-2:30        awake from nap, remainder of bottle, or snack (fruit, veg,
                  cheese whatever is handy)
5 pm          Supper, whatever we are having with fruit for dessert.  He
                 had Jello yesterday and loved it
7pm           5 tbsp baby cereal
8pm           8 oz formula and bed time.

He snacks through the day too, usually whenever I snack.

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 00:05:31 am »
Here is our routine as well

7 am wake and drink water and eat cheerios
7:30 breakfast--4-6 oz oatmeal or cereal & 4 oz yogurt
9:30 8 oz bottle (rarely finishes it all anymore)
11:30 lunch 8 oz solids and some finger foods
12:15 ish nap
2:30 ish up and at em
3:00 8 oz bottle
5:00 8-10 oz solids
6:30 bath/get ready for bed/wind down
7:00 in bed

Hope this helps.  It is really (knock wood) working well. :D
Laura

Offline griffmonkey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 14:51:45 pm »
I read this thread with great interest as your children are around my son's age and you are moving to one nap.  I can't tell if I need to do the same.  After you read all this, you'll probably say it is obvious.  However, there are so many issues going on (new sitter, just started crawling last few weeks, sick this week) that it is hard to tell.

The last few days, my almost 11 month old son has played/fussed a little through(in his crib) what used to be his morning nap.  He has been sick with a cold this week and is out of his normal routine of waking at 6:15 to go to Grandad's for the day while I work. I've let him sleep until he wakes naturally (around 7:15)

Just last week he was sleeping 2-2.5  hours at naptime 9-11:30 and 2:00-4:00 or so.  This is after long months of barely hour long naps at the previous baby sitter. Last Friday, he took two 3 hour naps!!! NEVER before has he slept that long during the day.  He has since birth fought sleep.  He has been sleeping through the night quite well though, for about 5 months.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks so much! 

Beth

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 20:12:41 pm »
Hi Beth (I like your name!! :wink: )

I would continue with the 2 naps until he refuses to sleep at all for one of them.  He seems content with them, and with just gettingover a cold, I wouldn't change anything until he's really well anyways. 

With Hunter, his morning naps were always great 2-3 hrs worth, however, his afternoon naps, on hindsight, were getting shorter and shorter until he finally refused.

We're going strong though with the one nap, and he's really ready for it when 12:15 comes around.  Yesterday he woke after 1.5 hrs, but I got him back to sleep and he slept for another hr, for a grand total of 2.5 hrs ... yay!

HTH
Beth  8)
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 20:18:43 pm »
Cooper slept for 3 hours yesterday and only 1 hour today for his nap.  I can't figure him out.  Yesterday he napped 2 times and today only once.  I am now questioning my decision to go to one nap.  BUT--since he has been taking only one nap he has slept all night.  Is it just a coincidence?  I'm so confused.
Laura

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 20:22:51 pm »
Laura,
Hunter is wishy washy too from day to day.  His night sleeps, for the most part, have been better with the one nap.  I read somewhere else on the board that it may take a while for them to get used to it.  I say keep with it and see how it goes.   :wink:  :D

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 22:07:20 pm »
We are still keeping it up but you are right...he's so wishy washy.  One day he can make it till noon and others he is crying by 10.  It's a guessing game for sure. :)
How are things with your lo?
Laura

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 01:57:20 am »
Not bad all in all.  When I can get him to sleep longer than 1.5 hrs for the nap, he's great during the night.  Last night he was fantastic (his nap was 2.5 hrs  :D  :shock: ), he woke for a diaper change at 6am (normal) and then slept for another hour afterwards!!

He's definately ready for this.  When he gets crabby during the day now, I know he needs something to eat or drink as per the old schedule.

He's growing up so fast, and I start a new job on Thursday (fingers crossed) if the training all goes well on Tues and Wed, so I'm glad that I have more time with him right now.

have fun with the change, they're only young once as a friend reminded me today
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline MyBoySpence

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 02:08:38 am »
Thank you for posting your schedules ladies! I believe Spence may be going throught the same thing.....but he goes back and forth between the two so I am at a loss as to what the issue really is. I do know he just cut his two top middle teeth which I am sure disturbed his sleep a bit these last few days so I guess I will have to see if he levels out again.  :)

Offline griffmonkey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 02:56:45 am »
Thanks, Beth for your tips.  I like your name too!  :D Griffin slept for 3 hours during his one nap yesterday, and did fine at bedtime - he went a little early and was very tired. 

Today, he awoke at 6 (an hour earlier than usual on weekends - I wake him at 6:15 during the week) and talked/cooed/dozed for an hour before I got him up.  He acted sleepy about 8:30 (his usual naptime is around 9).  He only slept for about 30 minutes, and I waited to see if he would go back to sleep.  He didn't. 

He stayed up until about 11:00 and slept until 1:30.  He was okay until about 4:30 and started getting really cranky - I put him down again, and no sleep!  I left him until about 5:15 and then got him up - afraid a nap would mess up his nightime sleep. He stayed cranky until we put him to bed after our routine.  He was so tired! He is normally not a cranky baby - but so funny because he was making this "EEEE"  sound like Mini Me from the  Austin Powers movies.

I hope this is not a transition to one nap - his signals are so few. By the time he rubs his eyes it is too late, and that is about all the signals he gives.  Thanks all for sharing and listening.