Author Topic: Switched from 2 to 1 nap ...  (Read 4146 times)

Colleen

Switched from 2 to 1 nap ...
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005, 03:02:27 am »
:) Sorry for interrupting without any real advice (I fought B on the 2-to-1 nap issue for 2 months but don't remember the details, and G did it on his own at 10 mo) -- but I just had to say that I love your username Beth! Griffmonkey totally describes my DS2! :lol: I may just have to steal it as his new nickname! :lol:

Offline LisaM

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 09:38:11 am »
I am also struggling as to know what to do for the best.  DD is 16 months old so is really at the point where she should take one nap but has been taking long naps twice a day.  I started waking her after an hour for each nap as she started night wakings and that seems to have helped with that.  The problem is she sleeps about 11 hrs at night so if bedtime is 7pm ish she is awake by 6 - this for her normally means a nap about 9ish (gets really cranky).  What I am worried about is if I put her down for nap later in morning how will she make it til bedtime, even if I make it 6pm bedtime she would struggle to make it to this if she woke from her nap any time earlier than about 2pm.  Also if I give her an earlier bedtime she might start waking at 5am after 11 hrs sleep or have you noticed any improvement on that if only taking one nap a day?  Very confused, have held off for a long time with this as she seemed really content with the two naps but has had about 3-4 days this week of taking ages to go to sleep for pm nap (although has always gone in the end and mostly still needed to be woken up after an hour).  Today she went for her nap at 10am (was too tired really and cried a bit for a few minutes).  Now I don't know whether to let her sleep for as long as she wants and just see how bedtime goes or whether to wake after an hour as normal!!  I hate dropping naps - we have always had a struggle with it as she is such a grump without enough sleep!  Good luck to you all as well.

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 12:11:20 pm »
Quote from: griffmonkey
- but so funny because he was making this "EEEE"  sound like Mini Me from the  Austin Powers movies.

LMAO, thanks for the giggle!  I can just imagine him.

Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

AlexandraW

11.5 month old son also refusing 2nd nap
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 02:40:47 am »
My son is ALSO redusing to take his second nap. His morning on comes about 4 hours after he wakes (6:30am). But just this week he started fighting that second nap like crazy. Twice he didn't sleep at all until bedtime, just got more and more angry as I tried to get him to sleep. He just started walking about 2 weeks ago, so I thought that might be it... but i have no idea. I don't want to transition him to 1 nap, if it's just the walking that is messing him up. Isn't it a bit early to move to one nap? His AM nap is 1.5 hours and afternoon was about 40-50 minutes.

Offline Portia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old possible 2-1 nap transition...?
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 00:38:03 am »
Hi everyone,

So glad my DH found this thread today, the posted schedules are helping me formulate a plan for my DS, whose birthday happens to be the same as Beth's Hunter...!

Andrew's been refusing to nap in the PM for a couple weeks now, but I've been faithfully trying everyday...This morning he seemed very tired, so I went to put him down earlier than normal in the AM & he refused...Then I decided to relax a little & see how long he would stay up w/o getting cranky, ran a couple errands, got home & fed him lunch & BF, he went down like a DREAM just after 1:00...I probably could've had success putting him down a little earlier, but needed to get lunch in beforehand...He woke after 1 sleep cycle, but I did PD 1-2x & he was back to sleep (almost 2 hours in total)...!

We also just transitioned from 4 "milk" feeds to 3, so there's been a lot of change in the last week...Thought it was too early to go down to just 1 nap, but if he's sleeping better I'll know it's the right thing to do...

Thanks again for sharing your experiences & schedules, wish you all the best...

:D Portia

PS: Would be fun to keep in touch since our children are so close in age...

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 01:00:28 am »
Portia:

That's hillarius that our son's birthdays are the same day!  :D   You do realize that their 2nd b-day is on a Friday, don't you??

Keep up the hard work
and good luck
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Portia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 13:18:44 pm »
Hi Beth & others,

Yeah, Friday the 13th for a 2nd birthday seems double scary...!  Hahahahaha...!

Update:

Andrew woke up quite early yesterday 5:15am then 6+am & this morning @ 6am, so he's needed an AM nap but still fights a PM nap...Guess we'll continue taking it one day at a time until the new schedule falls into place more naturally...Any special tricks for helping him cope w/ tiredness in the meantime...?

Have a great weekend all...!

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 01:13:28 am »
Just one ... distraction via Cheerios ... worked wonders with Hunter
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Portia

• Showing Appreciation 0
distraction via Cheerios
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 02:10:19 am »
Thats great, Andrew LOVES Cheerios...!  He seems more needy when he's tired, so I make sure to spend lots of 1-on-1 time with him (extra snuggles too)...

He actually had a PM nap (short lived as it was) for the first time in a while today...One day at a time, my new mantra...

Have a great weekend...!

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 02:19:34 am »
:D

Congrats on the PM nap ... Hunter barely napped today ... out shopping and too much to see!!!

Thanks and have a great weekend youself too  :lol:  8)  :D
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 02:50:16 am »
For those of you who are questioning whether you should be switching to one nap, I would be careful assuming that one or two bad nap days means they are ready.  I mean, if you want to, try the switch, but a lot of kids aren't ready until they are much older.  And it can be hard when they get so inconsistant.  We started to switch a couple weeks ago when dd was wanting to stay up longer, but now are back to two good naps since she is exhausted by 9 am.  Apparently the change in naps wasn't a permanent one.  :D  What is? :D   I think its really normal for them to go back and forth for awhile before they are really ready, so you can either just pick one and try to stick with it, or go day by day and read their signals and do what seems to be working for that week :D  Wouldn't it be nice if these lo's came with instruction manauls for each stage?

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 05:03:39 am »
Lilah also sometimes totally skips her PM nap.  Like today, and Monday also.  But she has a special tactic.  She poops!  She'll be talking to herself for the longest time, and when I finally go in to see what in the heck is going on, guess what?  After the diaper change, there is just no getting her down most of the time.  Then she's totally cranky by 5:30.  But other days, she goes down just fine for both naps.  And she's definitely not ready to hold out till noon, because she's completely zonked by 9:30.  So yes, we just have to take it one day at a time!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

lil'monkey

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 11:37:53 am »
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one going bonkers over whether or not dd needs one nap.  Kim is so right!  i wish that babies come with instruction manuals.  I guess we just have to take one day at a time now.   :roll:  Here's hoping that this phase will be short lived!