Author Topic: turned 1 and everything gone wrong!!  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
turned 1 and everything gone wrong!!
« on: August 30, 2005, 09:40:27 am »
Hello

My ds turned 1 two wks ago and since then his sleeping has gone terrible...he was going to sleep by himself since about 7 mths...cuddle,kiss and bye bye and normally asleep in 5 -10mins.

when i do this now he gets hysterical even though im standing next to him,,,nothing has changed in our normal routine and he hasnt reached any new milestones (he started climbing 2 days ago but sleep off for 2 wks)

Im really puzzled,,i am now holding him til drowsy and then putting i cot,,average 2-3 nightwakings,,,something seems to be annoying him but i cant figure it out.....

any suggestions pls ( i really miss my sleep :lol: )

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 17:22:51 pm »
Hello,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough go right now!

It would help to have a bit more info..  What time does he nap?  What does his bedtime routine look like?  Does he fall asleep independently?  Has he been ill lately?  Getting any new teeth?

Post back with the details and we'll try to help you out!

Carrie
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Samismum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 23:46:30 pm »
Hello,

his bedtime routine was book,bath,bottle and cuddle and in bed fully awake and normally asleep within 5-10mins  (sleep from 7pm til 6.30 - 7am)

his nap routine was book and cuddle and in bed fully awake nap from 12.30 - 2.30 (has been on 1 nap from 9 1/2 mths)

Now i am cuddling till drowsy and then putting him in cot half asleep, he get hysterical if i try fully awake now, nap has gone to 1hr 15mins and night sleep is same times but with 2-3 wakenings.

No new milestones,,(has been walking from 9mths),,started to climb 2 days ago but problems for about 2 wks,,no new teeth that i can tell

The only thing that i can think of thats different is that i have changed to cows milk on his 1st birthday.(thats when this all started)

Im stumped!!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 17:49:50 pm »
Hmmmm...well it could be a couple things.

Sorry, but again how long has he been like this?

My thoughts are that its either teeth or an illness.  When my ds got his molars and then again when he got his eyeteeth, his sleep fell apart for a few days.  I just tried to remain as consistent as possible, and once they broke through he was fine.  However, when he got his first ear infection a couple months ago, he was alot like your son now.  He would scream and scream when I tried to put him down.  For a couple days he was falling asleep in my bed next to me watching a video :roll: .  I just had no idea why he had changed so drastically.  Once I took him to the doctor and found out he had an ear infection, it was an "A-ha" moment.  After a couple days of being on medication, and as soon as I knew he was feeling better I worked at getting him back on track.

So I would be inclined to take him to the doctor just to even rule out that it is anything medical.

Carrie
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

Offline Samismum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 21:27:48 pm »
hello...

Its been 2 wks now,,,,ive made a dr appt for today,,,last night was a bit better (no wakenings but day started at 5.30 :roll: )but i'll go to the dr and see what she has to say,,,

I'll keep you updated,,,thanks for your advice

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 06:14:12 am »
Let me know how the doctors appointment is.

Carrie
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

Offline Samismum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 10:06:57 am »
Hello

Thought i'd give an update...Dr couldnt find a thing wrong after numerous checks so i came to the conclusion that something must be annoying/irrating him....

i changed all his sheets and put a quilt and faux fur blanket under his sheet (after getting tips from an anouncement on this board) and put an extra t-shirt under his pjs (winter just ending here) and last night and nap today were alot better   :D 

Who knows what happened!!!  hopefully he is back on track....well, we have the 1 year injections on tues which will put us off (maybe he knew they were coming and was preparing me  :lol:  :lol: )

Thanks

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 16:04:46 pm »
Glad to hear that he in fact is not sick, and that things are getting back on track for you.  Sometimes they just go through rough periods like, and you just have to go with it.

Carrie
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 20:15:54 pm »
Just wondering...
Did you do a gradual switch to milk?  DD was on formula, which is a lot heavier and more filling than milk, so we switched bottles to whole milk every 3-4 days so she would have a chance to get calories in different ways.  The bedtime bottle we switched last as I think that gave her a chance to fill up before sleeping.  So, do you think it's possible that he's hungry?
Trish