Author Topic: Need serious help..Awake every 1 1/2 hours!!  (Read 2637 times)

Offline momofjules

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need serious help..Awake every 1 1/2 hours!!
« on: August 30, 2005, 18:01:02 pm »
If anyone can help me I would be sooo grateful!!  This may be long, but I'm about to literally go insane!  My ds in 6 months old and sleeping habits are not good at all.  The problem is that he does not know how to put himself to sleep and he is very dependant on nursing.  FYI.. I used to follow EASY when my ds was 6weeks to about 4 months and it just wasn't working for us.  I've just read The No Cry Sleep Solution.  I'm not sure if anyone is familiar.  I've also read both of Tracy's books.  I'm afraid I've created something that is going to be so hard to change. He stays with my mother in law during the day while I'm at work.  He is not a long napper.  He will nap anywhere from 30 min. but sometimes has a good day and may nap 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  It's usually inconsistent.  We try to keep him asleep if he wakes up by putting his paci back in or patting him or even sometimes giving him a bottle.  On the weekends he naps for about 30 min. then I have to lay with him or nurse him back to sleep.  Every night he wakes up every 1 - 1 1/2 hours now from bed time until he wakes up!  Here is a breakdown of our schedule.  It's kind of hard to say depending on how long he napped...

6:30 am - nurse
7:00 am - wake
8:30 am - breakfast
9:30 am - nap
10:30 am or 11am - bottle
11:30 am play
12:15 pm - lunch
1:30 pm or 2pm - nap
3:00 pm - bottle
3:30pm play
6:15pm- dinner
7:00 pm bath
7:10 pm jammies
7:20 pm book -- lately hasn't been happening bc he's too fussy
7:30 pm nurse to sleep -- usually has been happening around 7:15

I've been watching him and he gets really fussy toward the end of his dinner.  Tonight I'm going to try to move his night routine up starting at 5 and nursing to sleep by 6:45 and see what happens.

What we do to get him back to sleep at night is nurse.  If we try other things he get very upset and just wants to nurse..he will sometimes take the bottle from dad only.  We give him a lovey and play the same music and use key sleepy words every time we try to get him to go back to sleep.   

Last night, we decided my dh would try to get him to go back to sleep w/o the bottle.  He tries to pat/shush him and give him the paci.  He screams like he was being tortured!!!  It was horrible.  We did let my dh try to get him back to sleep with a bottle.  He still wakes up about every hour with him too.  A few times he gave him the paci and pat him and he went back to sleep. 

I would appreciate any help.  I'm at my wits end due to lack of sleep.  Thank you!!
Heidi

Proud mom of Julius (2/18/05)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 01:03:09 am »
Oh Heidi!  I can relate!  It sounds a lot like what I went through with Megan.  One of the hardest habits to break is the nursing to sleep, but I really think you need to make a go of it, if you really want this to work.  It sounds like he can't put himself back to sleep (or doesn't want to do it on his own, because you've always been there to help!). You can use the Gentle Removal Plan day and night and really really really try not to nurse him to sleep.  As long as there's SOMETHING else going on between nursing and sleep (I'd rock or sing a lullaby).

The other important thing is CONSISTENCY!  It sounds like you're doing different thing when he wakes (sometimes pat/shh, sometimes paci, sometimes bottle or breast).  Pick one and try to stick to it - something that you'll be able to wean away so that he no longer needs it.

He also sounds like he's overtired by bedtime.  If he's getting short naps, you really need to move the bedtime earlier. He might also be overtired by the time he gets to his morning nap - have you tried moving that earlier too?  If he's waking every hour or so at night, he's not getting a restful night (no one is!) - you could try moving the nap back gradually - before he gets really sleepy.

Finally, remember if he screams or cries with all of this, that's just his way of communicating to you that he liked the old method better! This will be a change for him - you want it to be as easy as possible, but there will be many times in his life when you'll have to hear him cry a bit and this may be one of them.  As long as you're with him, you're not abandoning him in his time of need.  And also, make sure you're not rushing in too soon, though - some babies fuss really loudly for a really short time before settling.

HTH - I really feel for you, but it WILL get better!  Feel free to PM me if you need more support or suggestions.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline momofjules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:50:46 am »
Thanks so much for your reply!  I feel like we've tried everything.  Yes, we have tried moving nap time earlier..sometimes it works and sometimes not.  Tonight we moved his whole routine up.  He ended up going to sleep around 6:30pm.  He slept really good for about an hour, then woke.  I kept trying to get him back to sleep and every time he fell asleep and I put him down he wakes up.  What do I do??  I had been nursing back to sleep..but every single time I put him down he wakes up.  You said try something else and stay consistent..if I do anything else, he gets extremely upset!  He is so persistent.  Do I just keep trying to rock him and give him the paci and don't give in to nursing no matter what??  I guess he would eventually fall asleep.  My dh helped alot last night, but all he did was give him a bottle every time he woke up.  I just think that is not helping the problem..it's just replacing one bad habit for another.  Also, what if he is awake but not crying..should I just leave him until he starts fussing or try to get him to sleep right away?
Heidi

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 12:13:10 pm »
If he's awake and not crying, DEFINITELY leave him. Even if he's just fussing a bit like he's settling himself, leave him - you only want to go in with an "I need you now" cry. He's got to learn to be alone at night. And I agree that DH (although meaning well!) is just replacing the breast for the bottle. It also sounds like he hasn't learned to fall asleep without sucking at all - because there's the paci too.  What's likely happening is that when he comes into a lighter phase of sleep, he realizes that he isn't sucking on anything and gets upset!  :roll: Have you read the sleep interview at the top of this forum? He's at a good age for pu/pd.  Maybe print out the interview for dh so he gets the idea too - you'll need both of you because it can be exhausting, but people here swear by it.  The idea is that you'll pick him up and soothe him when he cries but then put him down before he gets too comfortable and try to soothe to sleepy in his crib with pat/shh for instance.  I never used it (didn't have help or the patience!), but there are lots of people here who could help you - check out the pu/pd forum too. 

Yes, he'll cry a lot at first, but you'll be there to comfort him.  You need to do the same thing at naps as you do for overnight wakings too - consistency is really important - and as you've noticed, the nursing to sleep is no longer working. :(   To give you some comfort though - I found that once my dd was able to settle herself to sleep from awake at the start of the night, things started to get better (not great, but better!).

Keep me posted, and I'll help where I can!
Erin

Offline bourqdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 00:06:39 am »
I'm in the same boat- -try not to give up!  I have a related question...I know I'm not supposed to go to my DD unless it's an "i need you now" cry, but what if she rolling all over the crib, babbling, and playing?  Especially at 3 AM!  I've let her do this for up to 45 minutes, until I went in and rolled her over, put in the paci - she then goes to sleep, with a few pats on the back.  Any suggestions?
Diana

Natalie's Mommy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 12:35:07 pm »
I would only worry that you're making yourself, and the paci, a prop.  Ideally, you want her to go to sleep on her own.  You can see how it goes for a few days, but remember, it only takes about 3 days to form a habit -less with older kids.  Have you tried just leaving her altogether?  Or does she start crying?
Erin

Offline bourqdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 13:29:24 pm »
Thanks for your response...I WAS thinking I was the prop...she plays for a while (sometimes quite a while) , and then starts to cry.  She is a touchy baby - 7 months old.  Do you think I should just sit there and let her do her thing, and only intervene when she gets REALLY upset, or should I leave the room, and return when she gets upset?  This happens both when I put her down for the night, and when she wakes up in the middle of the night...
Diana

Natalie's Mommy

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 00:01:10 am »
I'd be inclined to leave the room and go back when she starts her "I need you now!" cry.
Erin

Offline bourqdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:17:46 pm »
That's what I did.  She didn't cry - but she didn't sleep, either.  I got her up when "nap time" was over, and we continued with our day.  Thanks for the advice!   :)
Diana

Natalie's Mommy

Offline momofjules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 00:45:02 am »
Help!  It's getting worse!!!  Last night he was up every hour and is starting to want to nurse for an hour.  It's so hard to be cosistent bc he will only nurse.  That is the only thing I can be cosistent with, but that is what I'm trying the change.  When he woke up, I tried bouncing him and it worked, but as soon as I layed him down he woke up.  I cannot go on no sleep much longer.  I want to try pu/pd but I'm afraid I don't have the energy and I don't know how long I can do it if it doesn't work right away.  I've tried it a few times and my ds gets even angier!  What do you guys think if I lay him in his crib, but stay in his room..let him cry but I am with him the whole time.  I can pat him and let him know it will be okay, but don't pick him up.  I don't know if I can do this either, but I don't know what else to do.  It's so hard because he screams so hard and gets so worked up if he isn't nursed.  I try to get him down by 7 or 7:30, but he won't go down until around 10.  Everyone tells me the only way he will learn to sleep is to let CIO.  Even my pediatrician!  I want him to learn but I want him to know I am there with him to help him.  What should I do???
Heidi

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 01:15:56 am »
Heidi, you're the only one who can decide what's right for you.  Have you checked out the pu/pd board for more info on that?  It might be really hard to do it on your own if dh isn't on board...

Your ds is definitely using you as a human pacifier - he's not eating that whole hour that he's on! :?  It's hard to break a habit like that and change things, especially when you're exhausted.  I sent you a PM and I'm also sending you a hug!
Erin

Offline bourqdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 23:16:02 pm »
I know excatly how you feel.  I don't think you should let him CIO if you're not comfortable with it.  Everyone told me to let my dd CIO, and I just couldn't.  I stuck it out and stayed in the room with her the first few night, and now I can leave her while she's still awake.  She still wakes up, but it's less often every day.  I guess I'm telling you not to give up, and do what you can on little sleep.  Good luck - I'm thinking of you. :)
Diana

Natalie's Mommy