Author Topic: cribs and mattress question  (Read 984 times)

Offline lele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« on: August 30, 2005, 20:47:11 pm »
I’m not sure exactly where to post this so I hope it isn’t in the wrong spot.  We are borrowing a portable crib from my mom for baby #2 (due in November) so that ds #1 can stay in his crib a while longer.  My question is about the mattress.  It comes with a foam mattress and I can’t seem to find a portable crib mattress that has coils.  I am wondering if this is safe to use?  the baby will be sleeping in it for 5 or 6 months probably.  I know with ds we were always told that the mattress should be firm with a certain number of coils.  Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts on this.  Thanks!
Sweet Boy- Nov. 1, 2003

Sweet Baby Girl- Nov. 18, 2005

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
cribs and mattress question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 22:42:52 pm »
I have a porta crib too, and the mattress is really crappy that it comes with.  It dips in areas, just not fabulous quality.  We are going on a trip next week and will need to use it.  So my MIL (who is a seamstress) went to a fabric store and bought a yard of foam (you know the stuff that has the egg crate looking side, and the smooth side.  It will add another layer of thickness and comfort to the mattress.  And all you do is cut it to fit the mattress.  Then you put the sheets, etc. over it and voila!   I don't know about a mattress with coils, but that's what we are going to do.  Good luck.