Author Topic: How to follow EASY when baby only naps for 1hr?  (Read 1722 times)

jade's mum

How to follow EASY when baby only naps for 1hr?
« on: August 31, 2005, 05:10:23 am »
Hi there, I'm a new mum and new to this forum (which is a FANTASTIC resource, so glad I found it!).  My baby girl is 7 weeks old and during the day, she will generally sleep for only 1 hour. After she wakes, it is sometimes only 2 hours from the last time she has fed.   So, if I follow the EASY plan, then she'll be on a 2 hour plan, (1/2hr E, 1/2hr A, 1hr S)  instead of 3 or 4...... is this OK?  I've tried to re-settle her after she wakes, but she's not interested in sleeping anymore. Should I feed her straight after her sleep to continue the EASY routine, or should I leave the feeding till 3hrs from the last feed (but then it's not really an EASY routine?!@#)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Su-en

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 18:51:12 pm »
If she usually eats every three hours, then stay with that feed cycle. What may happen is she will show signs of tiredness about 20 mins. after her nap wake up-- if she does this, see if she will go back down for another sleep.

It's typical for a newborn/young infant to do the 45 min. short nap, then be awake and then be ready for another sleep, within the same cycle.

Just on a side note.. what happens when she wakes up? Is it a wa wa crying, shrieking crying or does she just wake up alert and ready?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

jade's mum

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 03:06:57 am »
Hi Jane,

Thanks for the advice..... so, what you're saying is that it's ok to do E (1/2hr) A (1/2) S (1hr) A (1hr) E to stick to a 3 hour routine? And if she gets tired during the 2nd A, see if she'll sleep again?

When she wakes, it's not like she wakes up in the morning (alert and no crying), it's either a waa waa or shrieking crying after 45mins - 1hr of napping.

Su-en

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 18:24:38 pm »
Okay.. it sounds like she's crying coming out the sleep cycle. What you can try and do, is to go in early around the 30 min. mark and when she stirs, place your hands on her arms/limbs and shield her eyes from visual stim.

Also..

1. Swaddle
2. Keep awake times short, start at the first sign of tiredness
3. Don't overstimulate before bed

If she does wake up and doesn't return to sleep.. it's okay to do a EASAS.. some newborns and very young infants will do this.

Take a look at the Announcement about newborns sleep, there's a new post on there about jolts and partial awakenings that you may find useful.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

jade's mum

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 22:42:11 pm »
Fantastic! thanks for all your help, I watched her sleep during our mothers group yesterday and realised that she jolts alot during her sleep and hence that wakes her up, so yes, I will ensure that she is swaddled really tight and put my hands on her body if I'm there to catch it.

thank you! what a wonderful resource to have when none of your friends are new mums :)

will look at the announcements too.

thanks a million!