Author Topic: EASY at night?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline fanlanxin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY at night?
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:00:51 am »
My DD has been doing the EASY schedule for a couple of days.  Well, now she wakes every 2.5 hours at night (or every hour after the initial waking) and wants to eat and play. I have tried everything I can think of:  earlier bed times, later bed times, DF, no DF, not going to her when she fusses, going to her right when she fusses.  Nothing is making a difference.  The only thing consistant right now is the fact that she's waking 2.5 hours after going to sleep and then about every hour after that.  She is taking quite a bit of milk before bed (6 ounces) and still waking 2.5 hours later!

Any suggestions????

lil'monkey

EASY at night?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 19:48:17 pm »
There are a lot of smart ladies around here but we need a few more info.
How old is your lo?  What is your day like?  How is she falling asleep?  Are there any props?  Is she eating enough?

Offline fanlanxin

• Showing Appreciation 0
EASY at night?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 01:35:12 am »
My lo is 11 weeks this Saturday, and she falls asleep after a bottle of EBM and some rocking.  We also start our nighttime process with a bath, so it's bath then bottle then rocking.  She always falls asleep and then we put her in a Miracle Blanket and rock a bit more.  She falls asleep really well, but she doesn't stay asleep.  She wakes 2.5 hours after falling asleep and 2.5 hours after a dreamfeeed- then every hour after that.  I have tried to keep her on the 3 hour schedule for eating, but she doesn't stay long at the breast - maybe 10 to 15 minutes max.  Otherwise, she plays and takes naps during the day, in three hour intervals (we've only been doing this a few days).  She gets up anywhere from 5 to 7, but she does go back down around 8:00 for a long 2 to 2.5 hour nap.

Is any of this making sense?  I feel like I've tried everything and her nights are only getting worse!

lil'monkey

EASY at night?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 03:27:15 am »
Sounds like you need to get her to fall asleep by herself so that she is able to fall back asleep when she wakes in the night.  Of course she will probably still need a feeding or 2.  If it has been more than 4-5 hrs, I would feed her.  Since you bf, try posting in the bf forum regarding feeding babies this young.

To help independent sleep in babies, what I would do is have a naptime and a bedtime routine.  They can be the same except for the bath at bedtime.  Currently your routine is bath, bottle, rock, swaddle and rock to sleep.  Why don't you do:  bath, bottle, swaddle and rock (but not to sleep).  You may want to lay her down awake right away or rock till she is drowsy.  Then with each passing day, decrease the length of rocking till you can put her down awake.  You can still keep the rocking as part of your routine but just make sure that she is not falling asleep on you.

If she wakes at night, you can try the pat/shhh, paci, firm hand to get her back to sleep.  If she fusses, wait and see if she will go back to sleep before rushing in.  If you do have to go in, don't turn on the light (even for a feeding) and keep everything very low key.  It will be hard but if you are consistent and patient it will pay off in the end.
HTH

Offline lisa regent

• Showing Appreciation 0
EASY at night?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 23:07:02 pm »
Hi I'm Lisa and my Baby Ben is 9 mnths our problem is he will go off to sleep by himself but he can wake up to six times during the night just for me to go in and put his paci in then he's fine for about another hour I do leave him for quite a while but he just ends up crying more. He does like to nap quite alot during the day and can have a couple of hrs at a time. he has a bath at around 7pm then a bottle 8oz at about 8pm and I put him to bed between 8 & 9 he will sleep till about 1am and then can wake every hour he is in his own cot and room. does anyone have any advice on how to get my otherwise gorgeous babba to sleep through the night?
My gorgeous little boy Ben was born on the 28th November 2004