Author Topic: Awake time on a 4 hr. EASY  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Awake time on a 4 hr. EASY
« on: August 31, 2005, 15:18:43 pm »
Hi, my daughter is 1week shy of 5mo.  We just finished adjusting to a 4 hr. EASY as far as the eat goes, but I'm trying to figure out how much awake time to give her.  On 3 hr EASY, she would go down very easy at her first nap (the others are a different story) and sleep for 1.5 hrs.  She would sometimes wake at the 40 min. mark, but then put herself back to sleep quickly.  I adjusted her awake time to 2 hours, but now she is waking at the 30 min. mark with a little fussing.  The past 2 days, I have left her to fuss(not cry) a little and she will just lay in her crib, looking around, for about 1/2 hour and then go back to sleep for another 1/2hr. or 45min.  I'm not complaining, just want her to get the best sleep possible.  Should I go back and try 1.5 hours of awake time or maybe go to 2.25?  She starts to show signs around 1hr. 45min.  We have a wind down routine and she can put herself to sleep.
Any advice?
Thanks!
Jessica

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 19:09:41 pm »
Okay.. here's what I recommend:

15 min. prior to her naptime routine, do a pre-wind down ritual of a carry walk around the neighbourhood or your house.  This will help induce some calming hormones.

When you lie her down for her nap time, make sure she is going into her bed awake but a little drowsy, so she can experience the stages of falling asleep in her crib.

If you hear her partial awake at the 30 min. mark, give her a chance to resettle to sleep (i'm not saying to CIO.. just not to go in running), if she doesn't resettle and appears to need support, then quietly and discreetly go in and rub her back.

Don't worry, she'll get passed this.. she's just working on a 4 hour EASY, and the new awake time.  It's a transition.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 01:24:13 am »
Thanks Jane,  I'll give it a go!
Jessica