Author Topic: Need advice- Short Naps  (Read 1070 times)

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 31, 2005, 17:47:31 pm »
I just started trying to put DS in his crib for naps since up till now he's been in his swing and now he's gone from napping three times a day (two- 1 1/2 hrs naps and one short nap) to only napping about 30-45 minutes maybe twice a day. I know the issue is going from sleeping in the swing to the crib but I don't know what I can do to help him sleep longer. He get really cranky because he seems to be onlu napping a few hours throughtout the day. He sleeps in his crib at night and is doing better with that, he normally goes to sleep at 7pm. Help!!

Offline minirog

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need advice- Short Naps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 18:10:25 pm »
There are loads of posts like this on theis forum, including a couple from me. I've found that they are less likely to get answers (or maybe I am just unpopular!) so i thought I'd answer. Not that I know very much!

My DS is five months old and I am having the same napping problem. He has gone from me holding him while he naps (he was having three 1- 1.5 hours naps a day this way) to about 6 or 7 half hour naps in his crib! I am determined to get it right though.

Today we had a breakthrough he spent two naps in his crib and they lasted  1.5 hrs (sort of!). When he woke at 30 mins, I went back in and replaced his dummy (i know I need to wean him off this but one thing at a time!). He was wide awake and smiling at me, but I didnt interact, I simply said "It's nap time, baby. See you later. Have a lovely sleep" and I left again. After about five minutes of talking to himself with the odd shout thrown in it went very quiet. I of course panicked and went to see if he was alright and he was asleep and he stayed that way for another hour - I literally danced round the house I was so happy!

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this is that i seemed to manage to get to this state, by leaving him in the crib once I had committed to it being nap time. I didnt leave him cry, but I left him in there and only went in if he shouted in which case I replaced his dummy or tried a spot of pu/pd. This sometimes overstimulates my ds though, so i try and just stroke his face etc, which usually calms him. I left him in the room for 1.5 hours regardless of whether he was slepping or not. For three days he didnt go back to sleep, but i perservered. And today it seems to have worked!

That is the only advice I have really. Hang in there and once youve committed to trying a technique then stick with it!

There are loads of useful tips on here, so have a read through and see what you find. Different thongs work for different babaies I guess, but getting into an EASY routine really really helps.

I hope things work out for you

Sorry this post was so long!

Kate
x
Kate
Mummy to Ben - born 16th March 2005

Offline minirog

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need advice- Short Naps
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 18:13:01 pm »
I should point out that the last sentence was supposed to read different 'things' and not 'thongs' but at least I made myself laugh with an amusing typo!

x
Kate
Mummy to Ben - born 16th March 2005