Author Topic: Getting a 5 week old to nap.  (Read 1097 times)

Offline car_lost

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 31, 2005, 18:24:30 pm »
I have a 5 week old baby girl.

She normally doesn't have any difficulty getting to bed at night (8 pm) and staying down for 3-4 hour stretches until 7-8 the next morning.   However, daytime sleep is a different story.

Today she woke up around 8:30

- E: she breast fed for 30 minutes
- A: she had very low key activity for 15 minutes.  This consisted of nothing more, that laying across my knees and looking around the room.

- S
I went up to her room to begin getting her wound down for her nap.  Her sleep signs are a bit hard to read sometimes.  She will sit calmly and then just start jerking her arms and crying an instant later.  So my wife and I decided to preempt any missed signs and just take her to nap 45 minutes after waking up.

I made sure the blinds were drawn, closed the door and turned on a white noise machine (which calms her down).  I then swaddled her tightly and sat down with her.  I would try to sit her upright against my chest and hum a monotonous tune for a few minutes.  If she would get really fussy and start escalating into crying I would use some of the techniques described in the "happiest baby on the block" (we have had a lot of success stopping her crying and subsequently relaxing her that way).  Normally after a few minutes she goes through stages 1 and 2.  Sometimes she would even have her eyes shut briefly.

I would then stand up and place her in her crib.  If she was in stage 3, she would open up her eyes.  9 times out of 10 she would quickly settle down and start sleeping.  If at any point I had given her a pacifier, she would normally either spit it out or let me pull it out without complaining.  However, this tranquility does not last.  She wakes up a few minutes afterwards.  Sometimes I succeed in calming her down in the crib.  The times she escalates into crying  I pick her up and calm her down.  I place her in the crib and shortly thereafter she wakes up again.  This is a cycle that can last until she is due to eat again. 

It is common for her to skip multiple naps in this fashion.  At 2:10 pm today – she has not napped for more than 10 minutes since she woke up at 8:20 am.

What is truly frustrating is that this is not always the case.  Half of her days are great.  On these days, her first nap could last up to 90 minutes.  Subsequent naps would be shorter and shorter in duration.

Please any meaningful advice would be greatly appreciated.  If you need any additional information please post and I will be happy to provide it.
carlos

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Getting a 5 week old to nap.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 23:36:26 pm »
Just saw your post - have you had any help with this yet?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

2sonsofmine

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:34:02 am »
I'd love help in this dept. also!!  sorry that I can't help

my 7 week old didnt' take a nap until noonish yesterday and it was sleep for about 5 minutes and then awake.  next thing you know, it was time to eat again and he had hardly slept.  I won't complain too bad because night time is fine~~it's just this day time.

hope some tips come in for the both of us!

g/l

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:36:24 pm »
Hi Carlos - how has it been going?  You sound like you're doing a great job with your lo.  The one thing that came to mind is that perhaps you need to stay and pat/shh for a while longer, if she keeps startling awake.  The swaddle only does so much, unfortunately!  I think I would try maybe even putting her down a little sooner (only 5 min or so, to really make sure she's not overtired).  Your wind-down sounds perfect (I also loved Happiest Baby...).  But once she's in her crib, keep a hand on or pat (the white noise machine might be sufficient for the shh) for a full 20 min from the time you put her down to really make sure you've passed the transition point.  The days that are worse, she might just be overtired... not too sure.  Hope that helps a bit - please let me know!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha