Author Topic: Learning to sleep on his own  (Read 1225 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Learning to sleep on his own
« on: August 31, 2005, 19:23:32 pm »
How long should I wait before going in to help my son go to sleep.  He is 8 months old.  After a wind down I usually stay with him with one hand on his back until he falls asleep.  This usually lasts 10 min.   I thought now I could perhaps leave him in his crib after the winddown and see if he falls asleep on his own.  If he starts to cry, I go in and help him.   But sometimes, he's fine but stays quiet in his crib for 30-50 minutes!  He's losing out on sleep though because even though he's quiet, he's not sleeping.  What should I do?

Offline ava'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 07:50:34 am »
Does this happen at night, too or just for naps? My first thought is just to leave him, unless of course he is crying like he needs you. It's pretty remarkable that he'll just hang out in there without fussing.  I think if you did that for a few days, the "novelty" would wear off and he would sleep. Also, what happens after the 30-50 minutes of being quiet? Will he sleep then or does he want to get up?

Some of the reading I've done says that if the baby spends the time in his crib, even if he doesn't necessarily sleep, he's learning that this is naptime. And eventually, he will use the time to sleep.

Another thought I just had is what is his wake time? Perhaps it needs to be increased and he would fall asleep more quickly. Just a thought...

Sorry to be so random! I am definitely not an expert, but thought I'd throw some ideas out there. Let us know how you're doing!!

:D
Amy

From the U.S., living in Australia
Mom to Ava, born Nov 17 2003
and Nate, born Oct 12, 2005

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 15:03:32 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for the input.  I have just kept doing what I've been doing - putting him in the crib and leaving.  He no longer wants me to turn him on his side and have my hand on his back.  I used to stay and sit beside him but I found he would babble and do tricks for me in the crib, etc.  I was too much of a distraction.  Now after 30-40 minutes he falls asleep.  I dont wake him up even though he sleeps through his 2nd breast feed of the day.  I just figure if he can go 5.5 hours w.o milk rather than the regular 4 hr. cycle then he's ok.  SO, we are slowly learning.  Thanks for answering my post.

Offline ava'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 02:17:24 am »
Sounds like things are going great to me! Honestly, it's really wonderful that he's so comfy in his crib that he'll just hang out there and then go to sleep.

And I agree, if I were you, I'd let him sleep through the BF too. At this age, he would wake if he were hungry, I think.

Sorry your post went unanswered for so long!
Amy

From the U.S., living in Australia
Mom to Ava, born Nov 17 2003
and Nate, born Oct 12, 2005

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 15:19:29 pm »
Thank you for answering!  Good luck on your next pregnancy and I love your little girl's name!