Author Topic: When to start Finger foods?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
When to start Finger foods?
« on: August 31, 2005, 22:10:05 pm »
I am just a little confused on the finger foods issue.  On the boxes of fingerfoods it says one of the requirements is your baby should be crawling and be able to lift chest entirely off the floor?  Is this true?  What is the logic behind this?  Do I have to/should I wait until then?

Thanks!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 22:13:39 pm »
Do you mean the boxes of Gerber FingerFoods?  I noticed that also.  It says that baby needs to be able to crawl with tummy off the floor.  I completely ignore those rules.  I began to give Nathan finger foods around six months with no problems, starting with the Gerber Puffs.  Many babies don't crawl with tummy off the floor until 10 or 11 mos, and some don't crawl at all.  Not sure what the logic is behind it...   :?
Sheila
ng

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:13:36 pm »
yes! the gerber stuff!  I was just confused because my dd's pincer grip is getting really good and I can see a tooth pooking up so I wanted to offer them to her in the next month but when I went to check stuff out the crawling thing was all over the boxes.  I guess I will just be ignoring that too! :D  :wink:
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 12:37:45 pm »
maybe they think you are going to give the finger food to be eaten WHILE crawling  :roll:   :lol:  and they worry they would be liable if the baby choked due to their belly pressing in to the floor.

no offense to my home country, but i can SO see that being the reasoning a major corporation uses in light of all the lawsuits - like the "warning - may contain nuts" labels on the peanut packages...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 15:06:53 pm »
Branwen, I picked up and put back the gerber foods because of that, too, until I realized that it's probably just a precaution on their part.  Like someone else said, many babies don't crawl.  I gave Kelsey a Veggie Puff yesterday, although I broke it up.  She did alright, but I couldn't get her to pick it up on her own.  I'm going to try a little bit at a time.  My cousin also swears by Rice Crispies.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 15:51:28 pm »
From experience!  Do Not wait until your baby is able to crawl.  I did wait because thats what I had read as well and my ds didn't crawl until 10.5 months old.  There is an important window of time when babies most easily learn to chew and it starts (I think) at around 8-10 months. We missed important learning time and are now playing catch up!  Our ds has learned to chew, but now he is 14 months!  Anything that dissolves easily is fair game.  Have fun! :D
Julie

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 21:47:37 pm »
I've been giving Luka finger foods for a couple of weeks now. Just pieces of cucumber and apple. Didn't even know about the crawling thing.  :oops:
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels