Author Topic: Bedtime escapades  (Read 1771 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Bedtime escapades
« on: August 31, 2005, 23:01:51 pm »
OMG i am at my wits end here, Ruby is driving me mad.

She can get in and out of her cot very easily now. Big girl bed arrived today and will be assembled tomorrow, but i don't know if it will make a difference. At first she would climb out and then holler and bang on the door for us. Then she 'realised' she was free to play and started to investigate. Her room is childproofed, but it does have a load of stuffies, nappies, a dresser, 4 stacking boxes and a free standing shelve unit. So yesterday evening we can hear that she is up, DH walks in and finds her sat at the top of the shelf unit (over 6ft off the ground :shock:  :shock: ) She climbed it like a ladder, it is only cheap and could have come down at any point :shock:  :shock:  Then today i had her window open as it is in the 90's here, and i come in to find her scrambling down from the window sill, OMG she could have slipped and fallen out of the window. Needless to say her window is shut now, I'm too scared to open it anymore :( . She is worse when her door is shut, so i have now started to keep it open now.

So today at bedtime she was lying in her crib chatting, i hung around upstairs to make sure she settled then came downstairs. Lo and behold i hear footsteps, by the time i had gotten up the stairs she had been into Red's room and woken him :x  :x

I was mad then and i immediatly moved the gate from the top of the stairs to the doorway of her rom, and when she found this she went beserk - absolute hysteria. She has gone to sllep now, but i am expecting the same in the morning.

Of course she is not napping, waking early and not going to sleep in the evening, and so is a miserable, whinging, tantrumming nightmare. I just had the day from HELL.

Any suggestions would be great, or just words of consolation!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 23:27:53 pm »
Thankfully Emma has been climbing out of her big girl bed yet (it's been just over 2 weeks) but I took everything interesting out of her room just in case.  I mean, everything.  I'm hoping to be able to put it back at some point and don't know if this is even the right way to do it, but she's been staying in her bed even though she knows she can get out.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I hear it's just about putting them back into bed over and over and over and over until they get that when they get out, mommy/daddy puts them back in.  Sounds tiring, but probably pays off in the end when they learn not to play and go to sleep instead.  I would use the gate in her doorway if she won't climb it or shut her door if you have to and definitely go buy those furniture anchors that attach furniture to the wall just in case!  Good luck!

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:15:55 am »
Clair, sounds so frustrating!!!

We've not got to that stage yet (thanks for reminding me what my future holds! :wink: ) but i do know about the whole whinging whining toddler all day long and you have all my sympathies!!

Connor is not sleeping well due to other problems but ultimately we have the same result all day, and i don't have a lickle baby to contend with too!

That little Ruby just oozes personality, just a shame it gives mummy heart failure several times a day! :)  :roll:
I am so not looking forward to the climbing bookcases and things.  So exactly when do we get those eyes in the back of your head we were promised?!!?

{{{HUGS}}} Clair, the party is just beginning!
Nina Lou

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:48:34 am »
Clair, we are on night 1 for the big boy bed for Aiden... so it is new for us, but we have this plan in place.
* If he comes out, we walk him back in & tell him it's nighty-night time & we plan to do that for as long as it take be it 100 times (yuck)
*  when we put him in the bed, we put his big puppy dog in the bed under the covers & told him he had to make sure that "woo-woo" didn't jump out... he hasn't come out & it is over an hour.
* we have a lamp on a timer set to go off at a time we have decided is acceptable for him to get out of bed - 6.45, which we will slowly move to 7am, but the last week he has been awake just about 6.40, so we thought that was best. So if he comes into our room before that we will explain he can come in once the light has gone on.

He has had naps on a mattress for a few weeks & they started short, but today was 3 hours! Admittedly Aiden mostly asks to have a "rest" for his midday nap & goes straight off, but he knows he gets his dummy so that helps 7 he has been going to bed well for ages now, but a few night wakings, so we have that to see.

what ever you do be consistent & try as hard as you can not to get angry, but just matter of fact, if she gets a reaction even if it is negative, she will repeat, remember she is still dealing with the issue of sharing her mum & a negative response is better than none at all. so you have to try & get as close to none at all.
Maybe also try an extra couple of stories or longer cuddle at bed time.

Another thought, I have been making little books (pictures) for Aiden, to deal with changing rooms at childcare & giving up his dummy, so maybe make a little book to read (not at nap time) about a little girl named Ruby, who made her mummy & daddy so happy, because she stayed in her bed & slept all night long.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 21:16:31 pm »
Well big girl bed assembled, everything else moved out of the room (spare room looks like bomb has gone off!!!) and ready to go.

It took over an hour for her to get to sleep. She has a gate on the door and the first few times i went in the room, gave her a hug and told her it was bedtime. After that i sat on the stairs and when she came to the gate i told her to get back into bed. It took about 1hr and 15 mins but she went to sleep, in her new bed - yay Ruby!

I have ordered one of these for her:

http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/product.aspx?CategoryID=Nursery&ProductID=5626&language=en-GB

so hopefully that will keep her in bed for a wee while longer. Hope fully after a while we will be able to put things back in her room - i have no where else for it to go!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 04:08:07 am »
Clair hope the rest of the night went ok for you. A pain to have to sit there for an hour, but if you are consistent she will get the message
Love the clock, going to see if I can find one like it.
we had great success with Aiden (apart from nightmares, but Aiden has been having them for a few weeks on & off). Did story time, with the last one after he was tucked in (new thing) then said good night & left... next thing was the nightmare at 11.30 (the screaming cry & sobs when we got to him) the after the repeats over an hour, I joined him in bed after the second & the next time was when I got up for Liam at 6.40, I think he heard me & when I walked past on my way back he had the torch switched on & was looking at a book. 5mins later he came into our room, dragging his new bed cover saying "mummy, dadda dig-dig blanket" (it has diggers etc on it). not sure if the light was on at that stage, but when I got up a minute or so later it was, so maybe he understood, or maybe just luck.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
Bedtime escapades
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 21:45:48 pm »
Clair - how are things going with Ruby and her big girl bed now?

Am dreading that stage now  :(  - at mo. DD still with sides on her cot bed as she has made no attempts to climb out - so I'm not going to touch a thing  :)