Author Topic: What happened? can anyone tell me?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:14:24 pm »
I have been working with my 4 1/2 month old son for awhile to get him to sleep through the night- he gets up generally twice or more...

three nights ago i really tanked him up (did two dream feeds)- he woke only at 3AM, took almost no milk, then down until 7 AM.

two nights ago I did two dream feeds again, 10:15 PM and 11PM- he woke at 0430, took 3 ounces and then slept until 0730.

last night, did two dream feeds again- 1030pm and 11:10- he woke at 0130, 0230, 0430 and then up for the day at 0550. when he got up during the night, he took only an ounce or two (5 ounces only over the first three wakings) and immediately fell asleep in my arms.

any ideas? i would appreciate ANY input-- now that i've had two nights of close to normal sleep i DONT want to go back, if i can help it.

thanks!

elizabeth

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 00:34:57 am »
How were things the past couple of nights? Some nights are just a temporary blip in the grand scheme of things. Any chance he just wasn't feeling well? Did he eat at every waking?

How does ds go to sleep at night? Is he an independent sleeper? When he wakes at night, do you give him a little time to settle before going to him?
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline cliffrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 00:53:52 am »
still hasn't slept through the night- back to old behavior- waking at 1:30 and 4:30. it was like those two nights of one wakings were the blips, rather than the other way around....

i send him to sleep in the rocker in my arms, but try to park him before he is out totally.

he ate a little- more to settle himself. i always give him time- perhaps i should give him more. at night i will put him in his crib before totally asleep- it takes him awhile to settle himself (sometimes i hear him for 30 minutes)...

i just need to figure out how i can get those two days back again....

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 01:04:19 am »
Definately try to make sure that he is awake when you are putting him in his crib. 30 minutes is not unusual for the settling to sleep and will likely shorten as he learns to put himself to sleep rather than rocking most of the way there  :)

My only other suggestion is to make sure that you give him some time to settle himself back to sleep when he wakes up at night before you go in to him. My husband was good at encouraging me to do this. I would hope up as soon as I heard dd make a peep and dh would say, wait a minute. I'd lay there and listen and sure enough, she would go back to sleep in a short while. If she fully awoke and did an all out hunger cry, then I fed her.
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline cliffrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 01:37:04 am »
thanks- i just hear him for a long time at night-

for the last two nights he has been turning on his mobile and starting to talk to himself and play- i took the mobile out tonite- i didn't know what else to do.

i guess i will ignore it unless i hear him all out hunger cry- thanks for the advice...

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
What happened? can anyone tell me?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 02:32:07 am »
What is your day time routine like?
From my experience, after about 3mo, too many feeds often promote not stop night time waking & I think doing 2 dream feeds might be increasing that even more. If you are bottle feeding, you should be having about 4 hours between feeds, otherwise your lo could be snacking & therefore not taking full feeds, which even if they don't eat during the night because they eat more often in the day, they don't have good long sleeps & so it becomes normal for them to frequently wake.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cliffrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 02:39:03 am »
I would do the second dream feed b/c he won't take much at the first feed-- maybe two ounces. when i go in for the second, sometimes i can get him to take 4 more ounces. he really isn't into the dream feed- even in his sleep he resists it- bites the bottle nipple hard, turns his head, etc.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
What happened? can anyone tell me?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 05:51:08 am »
I bf my ds & he has 5 feeds in 24 hours & no df... he goes from 7.30 to 4/5/6am , without waking up & with my first I used to top him up all the time (8 feeds/24 hours) in the hope he would sleep longer at night... he woke heaps... don't know if it was stomach ache, or snacking, but I do know apart from the odd day here there Liam sleeps through & my friend who does sleep & settling for a living, would swear by the fact you offer a feed & if they don't take much you wait 3- 4 hours before offering again... she says a lot of the mothers who have waking problems feed more often in the hope of better night sleep & when she puts them on a 4hour routine for bottle fed & 3-4 bf (babies over 4mo) the night wakings more often than not improve... I know it did for me with my first.
That is why I suggest you don't do 2 df.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05