Author Topic: Early Wakings, Short Naps - Need Ideas  (Read 1212 times)

Offline sandraorion

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
Early Wakings, Short Naps - Need Ideas
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:23:14 pm »
Ok, enough is enough. Adrian got four teeth in last couple of weeks and the spells of night screamings are over (knock on the wood).

But, he still wakes up once a night and chats for about half an hour to an hour and is up for the day between 5am and 6am. He wakes up happy and chatting and stays in the crib happily for 30-45 minutes. But by 4-5 in the afternoon it catches up with him and he becomes edgy.

The early waking thing started in May and we thought that it was because the sun was rising early. Well, it's not anymore. We switched to one nap in the meantime, but the early wakings are still there.

Naps - he was never a good napper. We switched to one nap about 6 weeks ago. On the weekends he takes 60 to 90minute nap. In the daycare, he does 30-45 minutes naps. Last several days they started rubbing his back to extend his nap and he's been doing 60-90minute naps there too.

His routine is something like this:
- 5:30 am - wake up
- 7 am - breakfast
- 10 am - snack
- 11:30 am - lunch
- 12 pm - nap
- 3 pm - snack
- 5 pm - dinner
- 6:30 pm - bed time routine, asleep around 7pm

I need ideas as how to fix his sleep. Primarly, how to  make him sleep longer in the morning and to prevent the 10:30 pm party? He is really not upset when he wakes up and if I was going to go in the room, he would think it's a playtime. I started giving him a snack before bed to make sure  it's not the hunger that is waking him up.

Please, I can't see the forest from the woods!
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Early Wakings, Short Naps - Need Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 17:01:12 pm »
I would try and even put him down a little earlier for his nap.  Myles is 20 months old and still takes his one nap at around 11:30-12, and no later.  He as well goes to bed between 7 and 7:30, and wakes around 6.

My son is also an early riser and has been known to get up as early as 5 to start the day.  I have tried alot to get him to sleep later, and nothing has worked for us.  I figure he'll work it out on his own eventually.

Sorry, not much help for you, but just a suggestion.

Carrie
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com