Author Topic: Is he self-weaning? Is it my supply? What's going on??  (Read 1372 times)

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
Is he self-weaning? Is it my supply? What's going on??
« on: September 01, 2005, 13:19:09 pm »
For the last several days at his last feed of the day (but he started doing it this morning at his first feed), Zachary has been really fussy.  He acts like he wants to nurse, cries and whines for it, but when I latch him on, he nurses for about 30 seconds then pops off to look around, stretch, or lay there to suck his fingers.  I try to offer the breast again but he gets downright mad when I try.  So I offer the other side, and he'll willingly take that for about 30 seconds and then does the same thing.  So I go back to the first side....and this goes on for about 20 minutes until he flat out refuses it altogether.  I thought mabe it was just because he wasn't hungry or that my supply was kind of low since it was the last feed, but he goes to bed just fine and is sleeping through the night with little problem.  But this morning, he woke a little early and after not eating all night long, he started doing the same thing.

I don't think it's teeth...he's got 7 and we've never had issues like this before.  I'm pretty sure my supply is ok, I hear him swallowing and when he pops off, there's milk in his mouth and it dribbles out--but maybe it's kinda low?  I realized this morning, though, that I'm not feeling a let down and I can't remember when I stopped feeling it.  Any ideas?  It's really frustrating and I'm not ready to wean anytime soon...
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 19:03:12 pm »
Funny you should post this, we're on a nursing strike here.  :roll:  :shock:

Max is refusing to nurse completely, he hasn't nursed for more than 48 hours now. He is sick, and he just popped all four molars and two bottom teeth (yes, all this week). So he isn't eating much, won't take a cup, nothing. I know it isn't my supply because I'm pumping in his absence and getting 4-8 ounces (both sides) per feed. He has also stopped waking to eat in the middle of the night.

At his age, Zachary could probably drop ONE feed (so down to three feeds) and do ok. He's almost 10 months. But if you aren't ready to wean, then I'd just keep offering and pump if he refuses. Don't give him the pumped milk or he won't want to nurse.  :wink:

Maybe check his mouth again? This breast refusal at this age is almost always teeth or illness.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline alligirl

• Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 19:18:56 pm »
Hmmm, I hope you are right that it's just a nursing strike.  I tried to take a peek in his mouth (he's so stubborn and won't let me look) this morning. He's got the four front teeth on the top and it looks like the gum is kinda swollen next to those.  And he did have a pretty good fever the other night (102.7!) so maybe it is his teeth.  He's never even had a bottle, so he can't be holding out for that.  And thanks for saying that he might be ok going to 3 feeds a day.  I've been kinda playing with that, but we're still averaging 4x/day.  But I really don't want to drop the last feed of the night!  Maybe I could start some formula in a cup for him to make sure he's getting enough fluids, I just really didn't want to go there yet.

Thanks so much, Stacy...I really look forward to your replies! :wink:  :D
Alli-

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 20:16:16 pm »
If he had a fever that high, could he have something viral? My los do run fevers when the teethe, but usually only 100 or so. There is a bunch of crud going around here, both kids have yucky yellow much running down their faces, a lovely cold dh brought home from work.

Max is still not eating. And I keep pumping. He is, however, very interested in the cookies I made the other day. He will eat those!  :lol:  And strawberries. So I am treating ours like a nursing strike.

Keep me posted on how you guys are doing!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 21:01:05 pm »
alli, how about pumping and giving him the EBM in a cup?  You should probably pump 3-4 times a day anyway until he's over the strike so you keep your supply up.  I'm impressed that you're down to 3-4 time a day.  Kaitlin is still on 6 :shock:  and not budging!

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 19:58:36 pm »
Max nursed!!!  :D  I was so sick of washing that dang pump!  :shock: 

Katherine, your trick of giving him something to snuggle while nursing is what did the trick. He focused on the bear, our cuddly nursing chair, and I got him while he was sleepy. He's nursed four times now in 24 hrs. Phew!

Alli, how you doing?
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 20:54:49 pm »
Yay! :D

Offline alligirl

• Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 19:36:39 pm »
Zachary's doing a little bit better.  Friday, both the boys had fevers and neither were feeling well, so maybe it is viral???

ANyway, he's not nursing better at night, but he's waking earlier in the morning (good thing or bad? :roll: ), so he's nursing really well then since it's still dark and quiet.  I guess he's making up for what he's missing, so I'm okay with that.  I may just have to change our nightly routine to get him to nurse better before bed. 

Thanks for checking on us!  And YAY! for you and Max! :D
Alli-