Author Topic: cereal  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Joey'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
cereal
« on: September 01, 2005, 14:52:54 pm »
I hope this isn't a repeat post, or in the wrong place.

My ds is breastfed, and we are struggling with it right now!  I initially gave up and started to wean him with the bottle, but my ped told me it would work if I did want to continue to BF.  So I dropped the bottle (except for one daddy feed at night) and went back.  But Joey has this terrible reflux (the ped told me in this really sweet voice: "It's STRONGER reflux than most babies have") and feeding him is horrible.  He only takes a little bit before he starts to get spit-uppy, and he's a VERY touchy baby so if I move during the feeding (including to burp/switch sides) he won't eat any more. 

To help his tummy hold things down and to help with sleep, my mom suggested I try giving him some rice cereal with formula.  I started SUnday morning (he's 9 weeks).  He liked it, and we gave it to him again before bed.  The ped was surprised, but then suggested we give him oatmeal cereal mixed with prune juice instead (he was a little constipated from his reflux med).  Well, he loves it, but he still gets spit-uppy, and prune juice is a bit messy, so now I want to just give him cereal before bed.  Am I completely messing with my baby?  Or is this okay?  And should I just give up breastfeeding?  I never feel like he is eating enough.
Mary Pat

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
cereal
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 15:00:44 pm »
Don't give up yet.  I did when dd's reflux made it hard for her to bf, and I wish I had stuck with it.  However, it is your personal decision, one that you make in the best interest of the both of you.
Could you pump and mix the cereal with bmilk?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

annamum

cereal
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 02:29:04 am »
Don't give up! We have quite a few moms who breastfed their reflux babies. It will get better. I think the idea to mix cereal with your milk is better than to use formula, especially if you are still able to express. Believe me, your milk is 100 times better for your baby than formula, in a long run he will be much better off if you continue.

There is a reflux board here, you can check it out for more helpful hints.

Good luck!