Author Topic: How often should my 11 week old be eating?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline NewMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How often should my 11 week old be eating?
« on: September 01, 2005, 15:50:56 pm »
My 11 week old is still eating every 2 hours....I feel like she eats way too much. She is in the 97% in weight so she isn't a little girl  :lol: ...but I was hoping by the time I went back to work she would be at least to every 3 hours! I am breastfeeding and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it....anyone else with this problem?

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 18:45:38 pm »
She may not extend it on her own, but if you slowly stretch her to 3 hours it should leave more time for naps and overall a happier baby.  Watch her cues and see if she's really hungry before a feeding, and make sure she gets a full feeding not snacking.  It can be hard to tell, especially when they can't explain what they want, but you'll get to know her signals soon enough.
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 00:12:19 am »
She's still quite young, and some babies just need to eat more frequently than others.  As Aubrey suggested, you can gradually try to stretch her out a bit - try distracting her - but also make sure she's getting a really full feed when you DO feed her.  She needs that hindmilk to go longer.  She'll let you know if she really can stretch longer than 2 hrs.  At her age, it's likely that she can go at least 2.5. or 3 hrs during the day. If she's sleeping long stretches at night, though, she might be making up for it during the day.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha