Author Topic: help! i think i'm done b/f!  (Read 1215 times)

Offline sraryan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help! i think i'm done b/f!
« on: September 01, 2005, 17:08:28 pm »
Hi!  My ds is 16 weeks old and recently I've noticed he's flailing a lot while I'm nursing and seems pretty unsatisfied after eating.  I assumed my body would respond but I don't think it is.
Today I pumped so my mom could feed him while I had to run out and I only got 1 ounce!!  I also got my period after three months so i don't know if my body is stopping the production.
Any suggestions, ideas about what's happening, advice?
TIA!
Joanne :)
Joanne-32
Dh Tim-34
Dd Faith- born still May 25, 2004 ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS
Ds Noah- born May 12, 2005- Praise God!!

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 18:41:33 pm »
I got an early period this time around too (like 8 weeks  :shock: ) even with exclusive breastfeeding.  It doesn't mean anything about your supply, but I've read that it can affect the taste and your lo might not appreciate that. 

Pumping isn't always a good indicator either, especially if you don't do it consistently. 

If you feel a difference in your breasts before & after a feed (not engorged, but somewhat full beforehand, and limper afterward), then you probably have enough.

The flailing could be related to a developmental spurt - he's becoming much more aware of the world, and there are a lot of distractions out there!  This depends on lo's personality - one of mine was very focused during feedings, the other likes to pop on & off and look around, so it's hard to tell when she's done.

If he's otherwise happy & growing, gaining weight, try to wait this out.  Hopefully things will settle down again soon, or it will give you time to watch for other symptoms and try to figure out what's bothering him.  Don't give up now - you're past the worst part!
Aubrey
-------------------------------

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 19:34:48 pm »
Like Aubrey said, pumping is not an indicator whether you have enough milk or not. Don't give up, we breastfeeding moms tend to worry always about our supply because we don't see how much our baby is getting.

The only way to know is by output not input. That means a lot of wet/dirty diapers, a happy and content baby. Also, if baby is satisfied after a feed for some time, at his age it would be probably something around 3 hours, is an indicator that he gets enough. Believe me, if he was hungry he would let you know  :lol: .