Author Topic: Swaddling - why does it always turns into a struggle?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Scigsy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Swaddling - why does it always turns into a struggle?
« on: September 01, 2005, 18:56:00 pm »
I'm worried that swaddling and shush-patting my dd (8 weeks) is turning into too much of a fight every time.

I thought I was picking up on her sleep cues - yawns, heavy lids - so I swaddle her and begin to shush-pat.  Almost immediately she starts to 'num' against me searching for food, even if she's only recently had a feed.  We then spend the next hour or so with her struggling in her swaddle and me trying to shush-pat her. 

Am I leaping in too early on my swaddling or am I being impatient?  I'm introducing EASY and we're on Day 3.  I don't want her to become afraid of the swaddle and associate it with a fight into sleep.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scigsy
First-time Mum to Amelie, born 3rd July 2005.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 18:57:43 pm »
If you have just started swaddling, your LO may be just struggling against it because she's not used to it.  Are you using the Miracle Blanket?  I found that was the only thing that worked.  And did you normally nurse her to sleep before you started the swaddling?  That may be why she's searching for food when you try to put her for a nap.  Let me know.

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 19:06:31 pm »
Just a thought all my kids have gone through phases that when they needed to burp they'd get really squirmy and act like they want to eat. But then bob on and off the breast while fussing. It only took me 3 kids to realize that it usually meant they needed to burp.  Now when #3 does this so me I know I need to move him around in different positions until I get a good burp, then the squirming subsides.

Two other thoughts you might be missing the sleepy window.

Also try a paci.

HTH!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline Scigsy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 20:01:18 pm »
Yes, I did use to nurse her to sleep so that's probably why she's searching for food, even on a full tummy.  I didn't think it would be such a hard habit to break.

What's a miracle blanket?  Not come across that in the UK.  I'm using a sheet and wrap her quite tightly.  Sometimes she squirms so much I have to re-do the swaddle.  I then have to get her to calm down in my arms and find I'm holding her tightly then too.  I do change her position if she's not going off and she sometimes burps.

She's just missed 2 late afternoon naps - before and after bath - as we've spent the whole time trying to shush-pat.  She did manage to go off for 15 mins for the last nap ... just about to do 2nd cluster feed.  Wish me luck!

Offline Megan1969

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 09:31:22 am »
I bought a miracle blanket at mothercare.  dont know if its effective or not.  I'm due in 4 days.....just trying to get prepared!  It is designed to have the baby's arms in the 'soldier' position, rather than bent across the chest which I can't imagine would be comfortable.  But I guess it was swayed by the term 'miracle'.....
Megan
Mother to Zoe Alexandra born Sept 05 & twins Abbey & Daniel born March 07

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Miracle Blanket
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 13:02:35 pm »
Hi

Just to  let you know that I use the Miracle Blanket (from Mothercare) on my daughter... to begin with it was a major struggle as she was getting used to it.. but now its a god send.. she cannot sleep without being swaddled (11 weeks old and still has that major "jump" that wakes her up without it!!).

Definitely worth investing in one... it will take a few days for them to get used to it... but stick with it... its worth it!!

Lizzie

Offline Scigsy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 13:44:48 pm »
Thanks everyone - I'm off to buy a Miracle Blanket!!

Scigsy

Offline Netspi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 19:54:07 pm »
Didn't know Mothercare had them, I've been using a sheet too. Bit worried about swaddling on these hot nights tho, I've been staying awake just to make sure she's still breathing!

Annette x

Offline leadfqqt

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 17:24:59 pm »
I was having problems with swaddling with my dd, I used to use regular receiving blankets.  She is so strong that at 2w she would break out of them.  After fighting sleep with her at 6w I ordered two miracle blankets, they are great.  She can not get out of them and she doesnt fuss now when I wrap her up in them.  I bought two so that if she wets her diaper so much and gets the blanket wet, I have a backup on hand.  Now dd has been sleeping from 9-6or7am since 7-8w and I think it is because of the miracle blanket as she is unable to get her arms out and hit herself in the face.  I plan to use the blankets for a long time and believe they are worht every penny.  Especially if we try for #2 sometime.

Jen

Offline Jill1000

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 18:54:34 pm »
When do you stop swaddling them?  Ed is 11 weeks and still has to be swaddled to get anything more than 40 min sleep from him.  He still breaks out now and again and this seems to determine his nightime waking pattern.

He's a really noisy sleeper (grunting and sighing) so I'm keen for him to go into his own room but I am reluctant until he isn't swaddled.  I can't see a day when he won't be sleeping like a mummy!
Ed's mum

Offline leadfqqt

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 18:59:04 pm »
Jill - I think once Cassidy can suck her own thumb and doesnt have the uncontrollable arm fling going on, then I will start with one arm out and then the other once she is comfortable with it and slowly work on the legs getting loser.  I would definitely wait for a while, CAssidy is only 11w and I dont see a near future of her being unswaddled.

Jen

Offline vickytxs

• Showing Appreciation 1
MIRACLE BLANKET
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 10:22:34 am »
just thought i would mention, i too use the miracle blanket its FANTASTIC!!! MY SON DOES NOT SLEEP WITHOUT IT!!

go to http://www.miracleblanket.com

they might not ship international i dont know but you can ask them where to find it in the UK. I am a yank living in the UK so i had it shipped to my mom in Texas and she sent it to me. i dont know what i would do without it.

Offline Jill1000

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 10:45:07 am »
They sell Miracle Blankets at Mothercare in the UK - I've just ordered one of their website http://www.mothercare.com for £14.99
Ed's mum

Offline vickytxs

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 22:24:42 pm »
damn i wish i knew that before! i just ordered another one. thanks for the info....  :D

Offline Lindy Loo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 15:54:24 pm »
Hi there
Ryan is almost 11 weeks old and is almost aggressive when I am trying to get him to sleep even if swaddled.  Like you, he thrashes around and at some stages invariably works his arms free only to punch himself later.

He has started to chew on his fist (i think gums are getting ready for teething) but can't control this when tired so can't yet leave an arm out.

I don't know if he's simply overtired when I'm swaddling him (missing all his cue's) or if he resents being swaddled even though he can't sleep without it.  Its almost as though the minute I swaddle him he becomes fully awake and hacked off !

My only worry about the miracle blankets is are they thick/warm ?.  Ryan is a very hot baby and at the moment I just swaddle him in a bed sheet and either just his nappy or in a sleeveless vest and he still sometimes is damp with sweat when he wakes.

Oh I can't wait till he is aware of his limbs ......  :?

Linda