Author Topic: how do I increase milk supply?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline julia cottam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 01, 2005, 19:54:29 pm »
:(  I have noticed that my milk particulary in the afternoons is low and I have to get an expressed breast milk from freezer to supplement my 7 week old, but i need to save them for emergencies or going out, what should i do? Aslo how long does it take an efficient feeder to drain a breast? The books suggest 30 mins but my son is ready for next breat after about 10 mins, I am worried he's not getting the hind milk.

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
how do I increase milk supply?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 03:15:21 am »
Hello.  The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk with breastfeeding is by output, not intake.  as long as he is having at least 6 wet diapers a day and 2-3 poops a day he should be getting enough.  Also he should be gaining weight.  An efficient eater may only take 10 min per breast.  If you are worried about him not getting to the hindmilk, you can try breast compression, where you massage your breast while he is eating to help release the hindmilk. 

A good website with lots of helpful info is http://www.kellymom.com
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 20:32:41 pm »
Lynne's right - 10 min per breast at 7 weeks could be plenty long enough. Everyone's milk tends to seem less later in the day - doesn't mean your lo isn't getting enough though.  The best way to increase your supply though, are by increased stimulation of your breasts - so by giving a bottle from the freezer at that time, you're actually *telling* your breasts not to produce so much. Try feeding him a bit more often and using the breast compression later in the day (are you cluster feeding?) and you might notice an improvement after a couple of days.  Also, make sure you're drinking enough and if you can, have a nap in the afternoon! :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline julia cottam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 21:17:29 pm »
thanks for your advice i have taken it all on board and already things are going better! PS how did you get the pictures of your LO's displayed with your message??

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 01:01:23 am »
Click on "profile" at the top of the page (under the FAQ and Search options).  Then you can "upload an avatar from your machine".  You can change them as often as you want!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline julia cottam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 10:08:17 am »
thanks fopr your help Jx

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 12:53:39 pm »
A girlfriend of mine also also the hrbs fenugreek (i think that was it) and blessed thistle from a health food store.  It was recommended by the local La Leche League here.  I haven't tried it but she said it worked great. 

Just a thought!

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 13:26:17 pm »
Babies can be experts at getting the m ilk off really quickly, much more so than a pump, so if he is only feeding for 10 minutes then that can be ok. When theya re getting fore milk, they tend to drink really quickly and guzzle, you can hear then gulping, the hind milk they have to work at and it is more like they are chewing the breast.

To increase your supply, pump more. It sounds odd as you will have to suppliment more from the freezer at first but since you are having to do that anyway it shouldn't matter for a couple of days. try pumping in between feeds for a couple of days and giving him what you express as well as the breast at the normal feed time and soon you will find that your breasts are a lot fuller. You shouldn't have to do it forever, once your suply is up as long as you empty the brest at each feed the supply should continue. If he doesn't empty you, express what is left at the end of the feed and save it or throw it to keep the supply up.
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude: