Author Topic: Working on independent sleep. Need more help.  (Read 1210 times)

Offline SEP's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Working on independent sleep. Need more help.
« on: September 01, 2005, 22:28:32 pm »
I've posted under 'encouraging independent sleep for 8 month old', but need more help... now.

I put my 8 month old down nice and calm, but not groggy and walk away.  I go back in 15 minutes to check on him and he is rolling around, sitting up, or crawling.  He isn't trying to find a comfy spot to fall asleep in, he's playing.  Should I stay with him a little longer at the start before walking away?

Do I go in after 15 minutes?  When I do, he then gets that more excited then cries when I leave, so I pick him up sit with him and lay him down to try all over again.  If I don't go in, I'm sure the playing will just continue on until he's over tired and then the crying will begin.  Do I ignore the playing and wait for the crying regardless of how much time goes by?  Do I go in earlier, as soon as I hear the playing?  I try to repeatedly lay him back down, but it just gets worse. 

Do I have to pu/pd?  I prefer pat/sh.  When I pu/pd he cries more loudly and pulls my hair etc.  Once he stops crying and I put him down he's crying again before he hits the mattress.  Do I have to hold him longer before putting him down?

At this point he is crying a shrill scream and then stops then starts up again.  When I go in, he's not in a sleep position.  I lay him down again, but he gets more hysterical.  Patting stops the screaming, but I don't want to over pat, so I leave and come back even though he is screaming before I leave the room.  Eventually it dwindles, but it seems more than anything he is crying himself to sleep.

Currently the crying has stopped and it is back to playing sounds.  I don't know what to do when he plays.  I'm going to wait another 15 minutes I guess and see what happens.  55 minutes have already passed since I first laid him down.

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 23:12:39 pm »
Hi there - can you post your EASY routine with naps/feeds for 24 hour period so we can get a better idea of whats going on. I would be inclined to not go in after 15 minutes and just wait to see if he manages to settle himself - if he isn't upset, then just leave him to it and see what he does.

It sounds like he is either not tired when he is going down for a nap or he is overtired - although, if he isn't upset and crying then it sounds more like he is not tired. How long is his awake time at the moment? Does he have a set bedtime routine which is the same each night? Is he doing this for both bedtimes and naps?

The problem is with starting PU/PD is that you can do it for hours if baby isn't tired and ready to go to bed!

Post beck with a few more details

Thanks
Dee
x

Offline SEP's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 23:57:29 pm »
Here are the general times
Breastfeed - 5 - 6:00
Wake - 7:00-8:00
Breakfast - 8:00-8:30
Breastfeed - 10:00
Nap - 9:30 - 10:30
Lunch - 12:00
Breastfeed - 2:00
Nap - 3 hours from time he woke up
Supper - 6:00
Bath - 7:00
Breastfeed - 7:30
Bed - 8:00

I'll post more later, I gotta go.

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 00:10:33 am »
The first thing which strikes me is that his awake time from his last nap to bedtime looks like its around 5 hours (based on a nap of 1.5 hours) which could be the reason for the restlesness before bedtime - have you though about putting him to bed earlier? Does he get fussy and restless around 5ish?

I think at that age we would start Mads bedtime routine at about 5 and aim to get her fed and in bed by 6.15 - 6.30. But her bedtime used to be pretty much the same time as your DS until I managed to see that come 6ish she was really fussy and restless and instead of needing a powernap then to see her through to bedtime - she just need to be in bed by then.

Moving her bedtime back made the world of difference for us.

Dee
x