Author Topic: Help! 5 1/2 mo old screaming at bedtimes and naptimes now  (Read 1690 times)

Offline emmakate'smom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 5 1/2 mo old screaming at bedtimes and naptimes now
« on: September 02, 2005, 14:30:49 pm »
Hi,
I have had my lo on the easy schedule since day one. She has always pretty much been able to go to sleep on her own. In the last 2 weeks, she screams when I put her in her crib. Why would this all of a sudden start? She is so happy the rest of her day. She stays with a sitter all week, and she has really gotten out of her routine the last couple of weeks. Could that be the cause of this? I am actually keeping her home with me today, and for the weekend to try to get her back on her routine, but I just put her down for her first nap (and I know she's tired, she's been rubbing her eyes), but she just fights the sleep!
What is going on?? please help!
Emma Kate's mom

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 19:04:21 pm »
Has this just started since you've had the sitter?  Maybe she's not following your routine the same and it's confusing for your baby (ie getting overtired etc?).  Also, my dd has started to fuss a little at naptime and the last few days I've given her a blankie to suck on since she can't figure her fingers out all that well and it's easier to to get a blankie in her mouth - it instantly seemed to sooth her.

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 19:11:09 pm »
My ds is about the same age.  I've found that since Ryan has gotten more alert, he fusses a lot more when he can't be up and seeing everything.  Laying down, either for play or sleep, is not as fun as it used to be.  He is also drooling like a madman, so teething could be an issue.  (Don't you feel like that's the answer/problem for every weird behavior?  Can't wait til they pop through so I can feel justified in thinking about it so much!)   :)
Kate,

Offline emmakate'smom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 19:20:35 pm »
you're right, she hates lying down for anything anymore. She wants to be up playing. I just don't know what to do about her going to sleep! Both naps today have been only 30 minutes!!!!! And, I know she needs more sleep, because she's not waking up happy, she is waking up crying. Just now she woke up and I did something I swore I would never do, I nursed her, just to get her to go back to sleep. Actually, she ate quite a bit, and I put her in her crib, she cried for a few minutes, and is now asleep. She normally doesn't eat again until 3, (i fed her at 2), so I don't know what is going on with that girl. Having her off of her routine drives me beserk!!!!!
I think maybe she could be teething, but I don't feel any teeth coming through, so who knows.

Nikki- she's actually been with the sitter for over a month now, and she tries to keep her on her schedule, but it is more difficult when she doesn't take good naps.  That's why I thought keeping her with me today and for the long weekend, maybe I could get her back on track, but I don't think I'm doing much better!!!
I just pray that this is a phase, and she will get through it soon!
Thanks!
Emma Kate's mom

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 01:24:30 am »
My DS started to seemingly hate going to sleep for naps or bedtime at around 3.5 mo.  He cries & resists whenever he sees the darkened room (sometimes when we're just approaching that part of the house!!).  Since he's a spirited/touchy baby, I've learned to live with it.  I've come to the conclusion that he just wants to be up even though he's tired (sleepy, red eyes; digging his head into my shoulder; rubbing his eyes and major grumpiness!).

I've tried pat/shh and PU/PD and, although I'm able to get him to fall asleep now within about 5 min, it's extremely rare that he does it without at least some whimpering or fussing.  :?

I hope it's a phase, too.  Naptime & bedtime are no fun!!  :(
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline emmakate'smom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 01:48:01 am »
well it's good to know I'm not alone. I know what you mean, mine starts fussing as soon as I start walking toward her room! These little creatures are smart!
Emma Kate's mom

Offline Netspi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 15:06:43 pm »
I'm right with you ladies. Rosie is 3 months 2 weeks and has just recently started literally screaming for 20mins to half an hour at bedtime and totally resists naps unless she's mobile (in her buggy or the car). It's very wearing but I hope it is just a phase cos it seems quite distressing for her too. If I hit on some remedy, I'll post and let you know. Do either of you swaddle yours? I swaddle Rose at night only - Annette xx

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 16:10:06 pm »
I used to swaddle my lo until around 5 months old.  I was doing it sporadically at that point (a few naps here and there, rare bedtimes) and then I just stopped doing it.  He always hated it but it really calmed him down.  I tried it once last week because he couldn't calm himself down but it didn't work anymore.  :?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna