Author Topic: Has anyone used a sleep consultant?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Has anyone used a sleep consultant?
« on: September 02, 2005, 21:18:55 pm »
OK, I feel like a complete failure.  DD is not taking any naps in excess of 30 min at a time, and I'm going insane trying to figure out why.  Is it the weaning from the swaddle?  Is it not dark enough?  Is she awake too long, or is she awake too short?  Is it her biorhythm, or is she overtired/overstimulated?  Is it just a spirited baby thing?  I can't fix it/ I can fix it.  Just go with the flow and wait it out / No, do something about it.  Should I go cold turkey on the paci?  Should I continue with the gradual weaning?  Is it OK for her to relax w paci if she's not falling asleep with it?  If she can fall asleep without it, will getting rid of it help extend the naps?  How many days/weeks does it take for nap extending to bear fruit?  How many hours are you supposed to stay in there?  Do you do pu/pd if she's not crying?  What about all the 2 yr olds in the grocery store with paci, it can't be that bad, can it?

I can't figure this out by myself.  I need an expert.  Anybody know one?
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 00:00:28 am »
Matthew's Mommy is the expert.  She's been a godsend for us.  Just take a few deep breaths and realize you can't fix every single thing at once and keep your sanity.  Then, try p.m.ing her with your schedule.

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 00:11:51 am »
You might want to ask your pediatrician. Chances are, they know one who is close. I know many hospitals have sleep labs, and I'm sure they can make suggestions. If you have a Children's hospital near you, that might be a really good place to start. If you live in/near Chicago, there's a good Children's hospital out there with doctors who deal specifically with sleep disorders/sleep issues.

I know that between 3 and 5 or 6 months daytime sleep develops biorhythm-wise, and naps do get messed up as a result. The best thing to do is wait it out, do what you can to keep them rested, knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

But I can certainly understand the frustration, as I'm dealing with it myself. My previously well-rested child is becoming increasingly overtired, and I feel helpless as everything I try only seems to make things worse, making me a nervous wreck and my DH feeling helpless as to how to help either of us.

Do yourself a favor though...start keeping a sleep diary of naps and nighttime sleep, noting breaks in sleep, if you haven't started already (if you do see a sleep doctor they might want you to do that anyway for at least a week). I've been doing that for a little over a month, but I just looked back at the last few weeks when this whole mess started, and realized she's getting more sleep in a 24 hour period than I thought, giving me some small sense of comfort. Often we think that things are worse than they actually are because all we can remember vividly is the time when things were bad, especially in recent memory.

And something I've started to do...tell myself to look at the big picture instead of looking at the day to day. So they don't sleep well for a week or 2, maybe 3...ok...that's 2-3 weeks in a lifetime. It's got to get better at some point. I'm a pretty bad pessimist a lot of the time admittedly, so it takes a lot for me to do this, but somehow it helps :roll:

Anyway, hope this helps a little...sorry so long :)

BIG *HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Jaxnlexismom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 04:19:46 am »
I'm sorry I don't have any answers to your problems, but I can tell you that you are not alone.  I stressed about napping problems with my ds until he was one year old.  Now I have a dd and I am again stressing about napping problems.  It does get better, my ds at 4 will still take a 3 hour nap if I let him.  I always have to keep this in mind because my dd is a horrible napper!  I constantly worry about what I'm doing wrong, and what I should do different.  Just know your little is not the only one with sleep issues and that it will get better.  Hey, by age 5 they won't even need naps! Ha! Ha!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 18:39:49 pm »
Hi there..

For Matthew, I spoke to Tracy, and for Brendan I contacted a sleep consultant. Both times, really helped me to pinpoint and figure out a solution to the issue (more so with Matthew, then with Brendan.)

If you want the sleep consultant's name, I can pm it to you. She's very simliar to Tracy's methods, but will also come up with a plan to suit your needs.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004