Author Topic: hunger strike?  (Read 928 times)

Offline nnowakow

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 02, 2005, 23:32:51 pm »
My son is now 13 weeks old. After two months of pumping, breastfeeding, and formula, I finally got him breast feeding exclusively. For a month it was great. Now starting a few days ago, he seems to be on a hunger strike. feeding more sporadically, he will go to my nipple and then pop off. I have lots of milk, so supply is not a problem. He has not gained any weight in the last five days and I am getting concerned. I have not started menustrating so don't think my milk has changed flavor....any one's else baby go on hunger strikes around 3 months?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
hunger strike?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 01:19:17 am »
Nursing strikes can hit at any time.  But what about teething?  That or an illness can sometimes cause a baby to stop wanting to nurse. Have you tried giving him some infant tylenol about a half hour before feeding?  Does he eat better when really sleepy? He could also just be getting distracted by the exciting world around him... :roll: I'd try a dark, quite room, right when he wakes from a nap and see if that helps.  If his weight doesn't pick up or this lasts more than another couple of days, I would check with your doctor or an lc (preferably) if you can.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline nnowakow

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 17:42:25 pm »
Thanks. Last night, he still refused my nipple (but took bottle - sort of) and then at midnight I fed him again (late dream feed) and he took my nipple. He took my nipple again for his early morning feeds. But then after 9am, he wouldn't take bottle or nipple. Was crying his head off. Finally, i gave him a cold teething ring and sucked like mad on it and then went to sleep. So, do you think that means he is teething?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
hunger strike?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 20:00:41 pm »
He could be teething - but you said he went off to sleep. Did he cry for tiredness and you tried to feed him? (So easy to confuse these two) Are you doing EASY with him? Are his hunger cues pretty easy to read by now?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies